Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR CAI tune with stock intake

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hadn't seen that before. I'm a sheetmetal worker and thought I could do some sort of ductwork for some cool pressurized air to the trapdoor but it's very tight down there especially when you are installing the airbox/ snorkel . I brought a nitrous activation thingy which you set rpm and throttle position to activate. Chickened out fitting it as instructions weren't very clear and I wasn't that keen on tapping into tps and rpm wiring

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Its a bit of a thread reversal, but on topic of vcm otr, I see they have a revised version that not only seals better, but re routes pcv to prevent non tuned vehicles throwing an engine light, plus there's a kit to upgrade now obselete model pcv route if needed. They're calling the new otr V2, it's actually V3 for those that remember their very first complete f**k up. What a freakin complete loss of manufacturing tolerance and to just keep selling them a day longer than when the problem was first noted (during testing?) was appalling. VCM, call your new intake V3!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Its a bit of a thread reversal, but on topic of vcm otr, I see they have a revised version that not only seals better, but re routes pcv to prevent non tuned vehicles throwing an engine light, plus there's a kit to upgrade now obselete model pcv route if needed. They're calling the new otr V2, it's actually V3 for those that remember their very first complete f**k up. What a freakin complete loss of manufacturing tolerance and to just keep selling them a day longer than when the problem was first noted (during testing?) was appalling. VCM, call your new intake V3!

I heard about VCM dramas before. That's one of the reasons I went with Harrop CAI

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Keeping in mind, the manufacturer isn't as stupid as we think they are. Holden stuff it up with their V6 air box fitted to the LS3 engine then HSV discovers that GM (Chev) got it pretty right with the Camaro (HSV 340) air intake they designed for the LS3 engine. Ultimately, the LS3 should've had the Camaro (HSV 340) air intake as a standard fitment on all VF2 V8's. The colder in the intake charge, the more power potential exists.

Fun fact, the same Holden air induction engineer is the one who designed that GEN5 Camaro intake. Holden engineering enginered the Gen 5 Camaro for chev, and Holden engineering built all the prototypes for the zeta based Camaro. Was a fantastic time at Holden Port Melbourne during Zeta Camaro builds :cool:.

The VF2 LS3 was meant to have a cold air intake similar to the Gen 5 Z28 Camaro. We had test cars running around with CAI and unfortunately, due to sealing issues with the bonnet, a consistent intake sound couldn't be reached so it got canned. The canned CAI also produced a nice power increase too ;).
So the carry over intake system from VF1 was retained and the stupid MSE (mechanical sound enhancer) was added, go marketing department, yay..

It was pretty funny, as Holden was tye first to use the MSE in GM world. Our test cars had the Ford logo on the diaghram as it was the same supplier for the Ford mustang MSE.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Fun fact, the same Holden air induction engineer is the one who designed that GEN5 Camaro intake. Holden engineering enginered the Gen 5 Camaro for chev, and Holden engineering built all the prototypes for the zeta based Camaro. Was a fantastic time at Holden Port Melbourne during Zeta Camaro builds :cool:.

The VF2 LS3 was meant to have a cold air intake similar to the Gen 5 Z28 Camaro. We had test cars running around with CAI and unfortunately, due to sealing issues with the bonnet, a consistent intake sound couldn't be reached so it got canned. The canned CAI also produced a nice power increase too ;).
So the carry over intake system from VF1 was retained and the stupid MSE (mechanical sound enhancer) was added, go marketing department, yay..

It was pretty funny, as Holden was tye first to use the MSE in GM world. Our test cars had the Ford logo on the diaghram as it was the same supplier for the Ford mustang MSE.

That's really interesting !

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

I feel cheated by marketing :p:p:p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The two hole mod with the just the piping from the airbox replaced for a smooth entry into the throttle body works very well on my LS2 E Series Clubsport even with a 230 cam and ported heads.

I've never seen the need to or the extra expense required to replace it with an over the radiator type setup.

100_1851 1800x.jpg

I think they are talking about another member that used to frequent on this forum and has been banned since.
He used to write a lot about tuning etc...although less eloquently and not always right...

Actually it's the familiar writing style and content he posts that's made me feel for a while that he's back then one day he plucked an obscure very old 'monstar' post out to add to a thread and that more or less made me feel sure, when he won't accept differing opinions and only his way is right is when it'll be confirmed.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The two hole mod with the just the piping from the airbox replaced for a smooth entry into the throttle body works very well on my LS2 E Series Clubsport even with a 230 cam and ported heads.

I've never seen the need to or the extra expense required to replace it with an over the radiator type setup.

View attachment 226339

Actually it's the familiar writing style and content he posts that's made me feel for a while that he's back then one day he plucked an obscure very old 'monstar' post out to add to a thread and that more or less made me feel sure, when he won't accept differing opinions and only his way is right is when it'll be confirmed.

Do like your intake pipe

Adding some wrinkle black paint would be the ony thing I would do, but then I'm not a fan of shiny alloy pipe

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Put on HSV intake instead of Harrop CAI to see how it drives with this setup and tune optimised for OTR CAI.
This airbox is HSV with larger intake duct and also has K&N air filter.

I was all excited when I put it back on and then realised it was 9.30 and it's ******* curfew....
Can't drive it tonight....

It started and idled just fine...

Interestingly though, only after I put this I realised how much uglyness OTR hides ! The top of the radiator should have come with some plastic trim to hide hoses and crap. Really ugly...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-215024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-215024_Gallery.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 114