Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

otr compared to air ram style

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Hi guys would anyone here be able to comment on if just sticking a good brand of pod filter onto the TB would be the same gains as a otr? or does the otr get its gains from being in front of the radiator so it does not get heat soaked?

any suggestions or insight would be great :)

TAS1981

Reaction score
OTRs drive air in a funnel like fashion into the TB. Pods just take it from the immediate surroundings. Pods make more noise, suck in warmer air an aren't driven by forced air flow.

There is a YouTube shoot out somewhere which is pretty clear in its findings. OTR for power. I have the VCM - it's relatively quiet. I had a k&n typhoon on an mx-5 - pod on pipe, noisey as all hell! Pods for sound.

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
thanks for that man, didnt even pick up thats where they would get the advantage from haha im a derp, since not much air gets forced in threw the grill and radiator to make it to the pod it would probs be just as good as a hektic pod filter in the norm spot?

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
i had the exact same thread.. search it up... some actually perfer pods over otrs for everyday driving .

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
there is heat soak with otrs and pods too, the otrs can actually be worse sitting over the radiator the way they do.
i have an enclosed pod sitting down behind the headlight so it gets cold air and only the top radiator hose sits under the pod intake and ive insulated that to good effect -according to Dascommand intake temps dropped .

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Yes with the OTR sitting ontop of the radiator it does heat up quite a bit, once moving - the POD style CAI, still has to travel up the 'already hot' intake pipe in to throttle, and with the OTR the 'cold' air goes straight into the throttle

and with my current OTR and temp sensor location the intake air temp comes down considerably quick, even traveling in slow traffic