Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating in traffic

J

JohnW

Doing the intake manifold gaskets is not expensive or complicated and anyone with a moderate skill level should be able to do them in a couple of hours. You only need a 3/8 spanner and some silicone sealant for the ends of the valley seals where they meet the intake gaskets. Undo all the bolts, lift the manifold up, get a mate to hold it up, pull out the old gaskets and place the new ones, silicon the ends of the valley seals, put the manifold back down and replace the bolts in sequence and torque to spec. It is not inconceivable that a system can leak under vacuum but not leak under pressure. as to why the temperature shoots up and down if there is air in the system I don't know, I just know it does and keeping the coolant topped right up stops it from happening from my personal experience.

Your advising someone who seemed unsure about removing the serpentine belt (were it necessary), that the next thing to tackle is pulling half the top end off their engine.

And I would certainly not recommend to anyone to do it by your backyard method. Remove everything and do it properly (to most people that means buying a small scale accurate torque wrench, cost about $150). To pay a professional to do the job properly, about $700 would be a reasonable price

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Your advising someone who seemed unsure about removing the serpentine belt (were it necessary), that the next thing to tackle is pulling half the top end off their engine
And I would certainly not recommend to anyone to do it by your backyard method. Remove everything and do it properly (to most people that means buying a small scale accurate torque wrench, cost about $150). To pay a professional to do the job properly, about $700 would be a reasonable price
Having done the job on a couple of different cars via my "backyard" method I guess I have more knowledge of what is required than someone that doesn't even know what those gaskets look like apparently since you cannot conceive of them either leaking unidirectionally or being easy to replace. With your general attitude you must be a real joy to be around.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Your advising someone who seemed unsure about removing the serpentine belt (were it necessary), that the next thing to tackle is pulling half the top end off their engine.

Its an easy job. Tools are not that expensive.

J

JohnW

Having done the job on a couple of different cars via my "backyard" method I guess I have more knowledge of what is required than someone that doesn't even know what those gaskets look like apparently since you cannot conceive of them either leaking unidirectionally or being easy to replace. With your general attitude you must be a real joy to be around.

Predictable internet forum response, when someone disagrees with you, quickly revert to insults.

J

JohnW

Its an easy job. Tools are not that expensive.

So your recommending the OP replace the intake manifold gaskets? Otherwise what is the whole purpose of taking the topic in this direction.

To replace the temperature sensor and thermostat, refill (or complete change if due) the coolant and yes bleed is the appropriate and inexpensive course of action as a first step. And while I was a Repco or wherever picked up the sensor and thermostat and coolant, I get them to chuck in a new radiator cap. Why, just because.

All discussion about the need or ease to replace the intake gaskets at this point is total conjecture and just 'mines bigger than yours'. If, and only if, the problem persists then further investigation is obviously necessary.

P.S. Quality tools are expensive, very expensive. No more fitting a place for the expression 'you get what you pay for'.

And just like Forrest would say .... 'that's all I got to say about that'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not recommending anything, except to fix what is fukked.
Quality tools? we are talking about somebody that will use the tools once in a blue moon. So expensive tools are not really needed.
If he was a mechanic he would already have the tools & probably already know how to do the job. Also wouldn't be asking on a public forum "whats wrong".
I have replaced the intake manifold gaskets without a tension wrench. What is hard about undoing a few bolts & doing them back up again when the gaskets have been changed? For me, the hardest part was the cleaning.
Maybe you can't, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't.
But since he is on a internet forum in a section for vt - vx Commodores he is asking people that own them (vt - vx) for their opinions & what to look for.
He may not need to do the gaskets, but to do a couple checks.
1. Look under radiator cap, is it full of sludge, is the coolant colour brown sludge?
2. Look under oil cap, is there condensation?
If yes to the 2 questions then yes, l would say intake manifold gaskets are cactus.
Hey glencol, have you had any luck sorting your problem out yet?
Its been nearly a week now since the first post.

By the way what is your motor? I'm assuming v6?

J

JohnW

Maybe you can't, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't.

That's funny!

4 year apprenticeship as a motor mechanic. Topped the state in trade school (South Brisbane) in 2 out of 3 years, automatically granted 'A Grade' status on that basis, and now over 50 years experience in the trade working on everything from lawn mowers, cars, heavy trucks and earth moving equipment, including my own business.

Feel stupid?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's funny!

4 year apprenticeship as a motor mechanic. Topped the state in trade school (South Brisbane) in 2 out of 3 years, automatically granted 'A Grade' status on that basis, and now over 50 years experience in the trade working on everything from lawn mowers, cars, heavy trucks and earth moving equipment, including my own business.

Feel stupid?
No.
You sure of that ( mechanic for 50 years). According to your profile page, your 19.

J

JohnW

No.
You sure of that ( mechanic for 50 years). According to your profile page, your 19.

You think I'm stupid enough to put important personal information like my real date of birth on an internet forum?

At this point the thread has got totally stupid, so I'm going to 'unwatch it'.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
You think I'm stupid enough to put important personal information like my real date of birth on an internet forum?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES
You're a real funny clown! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited: