Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oxygen sensor . Splicing wires on the harness side

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
VTII, V6, no supercharge or turbo.

Have a kinked/cracked wire just near the connector side. It causes intermittent signal faults ( checked with multimeter).
wreckers will only sell entire looms, jaycar do not have compatible connectors nor do any of the automotive chains.
This creates a need to place new connectors and cut in some new wires to replace the cracked wire.
QUESTION The standard commodore wire is steel while the jaycar wire is ether bronze ( greater conductivity)
or steel/tin/bronze combo which again varies on ohms resistance etc. Has anyone mixed wire types ( eg steel mixing with bronze)
and has it been succesful given the sensitivity of oxygen sensor signal output to the ECM?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The Holden VT/VX Service Manual only has special wiring repair procedures for ABS and SRS wiring repairs. That could indicate that other wiring repairs are not as sensitive.
I'm surprised that the standard Commodore wire is steel.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try a different wreckers
or facebook for someone wrecking a car privately

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If you are unsure about where the break is, you can use one of these to find it.
IMG_3790.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1341791...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The tool in use:

You would apply the same method to the circuit at hand.

You can repair the wire. As long as it’s the same gauge. I prefer crimping with a brass crimp joiner and dual layer heat shrink so it’s sealed from moisture.

You can unpin the plug and fit it to the new wire/s.

Some new split tube and engine bay tape. Better than new.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yeah id go with Fu's extension loom option.

If the wiring is damaged right near the plug i would do as below.
Cut back into your loom about 100mm from the plug and probably add 200mm from the extension in.
Just make sure you have the heatshrink on ready to go before soldering Or you can always depin/repin plugs but that isnt fun.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
If you are unsure about where the break is, you can use one of these to find it.
View attachment 253710

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1341791...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The tool in use:

You would apply the same method to the circuit at hand.

You can repair the wire. As long as it’s the same gauge. I prefer crimping with a brass crimp joiner and dual layer heat shrink so it’s sealed from moisture.

You can unpin the plug and fit it to the new wire/s.

Some new split tube and engine bay tape. Better than new.
Thank you for the guidance. gauge is same(1.5). copper has a better rate of conductivity and a different resistance to steel. The issue is mixing the two types along the same wiring line given how super voltage sensitive the sensor to ecm signal is. Hpusehold wiring wouod not give it a thought it is just the signal range that is the issue. Trying to hear from someone who has mixed the two types of wire and can declare NO PROBLEM.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
The Holden VT/VX Service Manual only has special wiring repair procedures for ABS and SRS wiring repairs. That could indicate that other wiring repairs are not as sensitive.
I'm surprised that the standard Commodore wire is steel.
Me too. I just thought it would be copper.,