Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust legality??

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
People are too hung up on what insurance companies do and don't pay out on. Your car has an exhaust on it. If you have a crash, would the exhaust be a contributing factor to the crash? I highly doubt it. Unless it fell off and went through the windscreen of the car behind you. And only then if it was found to be either the wrong exhaust, (say off a VW) or just not secured properly, then your insurance would probably still pay.

Contrary to what people say, motor vehicle insurance companies don't spend a lot of time trying not to pay out. It doesn't really matter what is fitted to your car, your insurance will still cover you. The only real issues will be bald tyres if you caused the crash, an unregistered car, or if you are unlicensed. Insurance companies don't care if the car is modified, only if the modification has contributed to or caused the crash. It's usually the Police crash investigators' findings that sway an insurance company if the crash needs to be investigated.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Put it this way, I had an r32 skyline with an rb25det in it with big front mount cooler, and full exhaust, and a semi pulled out in front of me I had about 10m to stop I slid straight into the side of him the highway patrol came got all out statements (truck was at fault) I'm with racv I was meant to get $9000 for it but they gave me $11500 because they said the front mount and exhaust uped the value!

Justinaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv L98 '06
Mate the big "P" plate clearly displayed on the front and rear of your shiny car is probably enough cop bait as it is ...
But as with most of us who have modified (hmm hmm illegal in the eyes of the law) cars would know , unfortunately with the boys and girls in blue you take that risk in driving them.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Quote...

An exhaust is not an "engine modification". Extractors are, the exhaust is not. The exhaust is an "emissions and noise control device".

Any modification to the exhaust, emission control system or air/fuel intake is illegal. 'Thou shalt not make modifications to inlet or exhaust - being part of the Emission Control System'.

Justinaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv L98 '06
Just a quick little bit of a story for ya'll...
I got pulled over by an RBT the other week, after blowing in the bag the newbie copper says " your car is a little loud isn't it ?".
I said "no way , its spot on and spent a heap to get it that way".. he replied "oh, ok have a good night....." ..
The moral to that bit of a crap story is that its not the mods you have its the attitude you have when driving (i.e.:not like a d&*khead) ...and also being pulled up by em ... but in saying that i may have jinxed myself already ..lol
Drive within the law limits in whatever modded car you want man ....but at the end of the day the risk you take is your own , just like the rest of us ....

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
Do internal mods wtf r they going to do? Pull the engine Apart? And say what's this? If thu do say wtf do I look like a mechanic?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Do internal mods wtf r they going to do? Pull the engine Apart? And say what's this? If thu do say wtf do I look like a mechanic?

That's the attitude that's usually ends with a defect and a visit to the EPA.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Because internal mods usually go hand in hand with bolt ons to work properly such as intake and extractors etc. Just *that* much more expensive to reverse later. Nothing like thinking thru a plan hey? :bang:

Reaper

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
So if the guy has holes in the exhaust and can't get rego, he has to replace it with a factory exhaust, is that what you are saying?

The exhaust was put on at the factory, yes the car has an exhaust, so replacing an exhaust isn't modifying at all , its maitenance.

Question is, why does he want the exhaust? for performance enhancment? There is not much, but at the end of the day he wants a louder exhaust, this will be the problem with the cops. But if you can establish that you have fitted a replacement exhaust as the old exhaust was illegal due to having holes, then how can the police fine you?

An exhaust to factory specifications? Yes.

Isnt really that hard to understand is it? The same ID and number of mufflers, and coming under the dB limit would all be considerations. "Oh, i got holes in my old exhaust so i replaced it with a 4 inch straight through pipe"