Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

p plater driving with legs out window

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
As soon as I seen it on aca I said the driver took the picture then they had the interview with the bloke that said he was driving with his "mate" but there was only the one person in the interview but he would be concentrating on driving so why not interview the passenger that had all the time to take the photo and check out what the so called idiot driver was doin.
I like the part were they said the driver has no way of slowing down now I have 3 cars all with cruise control and all 3 I can turn the cruise off and it will slow the car down.

How quickly?

You could turn the cruise off.. by hitting the brakes, which would slow you as fast as needed.. or touching the clutch, which means then coasting and slowing gradually.. or touching the cruise controls on the steering wheel or wand or whatever, again for a gradual slowing.

Unfortunately his legs were nowhere near the brake or clutch, so those are out.

He cant reach the cruise controls with his right hand, his legs are in the way. He can maybe do it with his steering hand, but if his cruise is a wand on the right that's going to be hard with his left hand .. and of course means taking his steering hand off the wheel? Even if the controls are on the wheel, they are always on the drivers side of the wheel as far as I know... try one day to use your left hand to operate your cruise control, it won't be that easy and certainly not very safe, especially when your right hand is not in the car let alone on the wheel.

I've travelled with my legs out of the window, on long lonely interstate highways.. dangerous to me personally, but as a passenger (which of course is the only way I have done it) the only person I was endangering is me.

This knob has partial control of the steering and none at all where speed is concerned. If an emergency situation arises, he is endangering not only himself and his passenger/s but every other person on the road in his vicinity.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If it wasn't a P-plater do you think it would've made the news headlines? Reading a book is far more dangerous for others then putting your feet out the window for a minute. On a freeway with no chance of anything running out onto the road thanks to a clear line of view and 5m walls it's not that bad.

Let me know how you go hitting a 5m wall at 100kmh next time you hit one, I'd be interested to see how 'not' bad it is. Just don't take out some innocent on the way, please.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
as i said before: the VeeDubs have automtic braking. infrared sesors in the front detect objects and brake for you. i also noticed there appears to be two spare lanes to the left un-occupied, so really, again:

whats the big deal?

Plus the Cruise Cancel button that doesnt require a foot on the brake.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i swear, in the not-too-distant future, kids are gonna be so bubbled wrapped in the "a current affair" bullshit community we are making, that they are gonna be too scared to leave the house

let them ride their bikes with no helmets
let them drink underage
let them break p-plater laws
let them hurt themselves

FFS, this country is full of dead **** pussies

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i swear, in the not-too-distant future, kids are gonna be so bubbled wrapped in the "a current affair" bullshit community we are making, that they are gonna be too scared to leave the house

let them ride their bikes with no helmets
let them drink underage
let them break p-plater laws
let them hurt themselves

FFS, this country is full of dead **** pussies

Ari, I don't give a crap if the tool kills himself. Its everyone else I would worry about. The VW might be smart, have sensors etc, but if he bumps the wheel or loses grip or whatever and makes a 90 degree turn right, no amount of technology is going to save him OR his victim.

They also described how he did this for some distance, until he hit an exit ramp. Did he have spare lanes the whole time? and does he necessarily get to choose which lane he veers into?

Plus the Cruise Cancel button that doesnt require a foot on the brake.

No, but it requires him to be able to reach the cruise cancel button...

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Let me know how you go hitting a 5m wall at 100kmh next time you hit one, I'd be interested to see how 'not' bad it is. Just don't take out some innocent on the way, please.
Are your arms painted on mate? I tend to use a steering wheel.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ok, I dont know about the Golf, as in where the controls are.. but cruise control in general is on a wand on the right of the steering column, or on buttons on the wheel.
His right hand cant reach either of those, his legs are in the way. His left hand.. try taking your left hand off the wheel and operating the cruise controls with it, with no hand steering, and tell me how easy/safe it is.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Are your arms painted on mate? I tend to use a steering wheel.

I'm sure you do. If he attempts to use touch the cruise, he wont be holding the wheel with either hand. He'll be trying to adjust the cruise, get his legs out of the window and somewhere he can actually use them. Sure, all this can be done slowly and easily enough, given sufficient time ... but are you seriously saying nothing unforeseen ever happens? He blows a tyre or something while he is driving like that and it can only end in tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.