Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
I think the power thing comes down the the people who buy the powerful car.

You see, it goes like this...
Mario is fully mad, he wants a big v8 because the car is fully sick.
Mario is out doing Chap laps with his bros, tries to impress some chick and slams into a pole. No more mario.

James is sensible and likes the muscle cars because they sound good and he likes knowing he has power for certain situations, cruising one day he merges into the other lane to try and overtake a truck because he has the 'power' to do so at 100km/h. He doesnt see the other truck coming the other way and boom.

Point is people say its the car or the person, well its a mix of both, the PERSON buys the CAR because of what they want, i mean face it, a fully sick hero doesnt go and buy an astra to show off.

The temptation is that a powerful car will let you show off regardless of experience. The thing that older drivers get over is the need to show off, meaning they are elss likely to want to get a powerful car for that reason.

everyone follow me here? it makes sense in my head :p

EDIT: Im a p-plater, and have my car because it looks good, not because its powerful. I admit there is a part of me that loves the fact that noone believes a P-Plater can afford a new (then) commy. I dont drive it like an idiot because its a v6 and i know that there isnt enough power to show off with. However, once insurance gets cheaper, into the clubby or calais i go ;)

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
vlv8vic said:
power and p-plates arent always associated. i say this because i dont agree with level licences. A d!ckhead will always be a d!ckhead, thats that.

sorta helps my point a bit...
A ******** will buy a car that temps him to be a ********. The theory is there are less peopel being tempted to show off in their cars as they get older. Doesnt mean they drive any better, just means that the crashes that occur from drag racing etc wont happen as much

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
maxy, i think i am the james, without the bit about hitting the oncoming truck. i never have trouble seeing trucks and always 'peek' before full on flogging into the oncoming lane.

ive had more issues with my camry not having the power to get around a truck in my line of sight than the V8 commy.

again, a d!ckhead will always be a d!ckhead. i think what you are referring to is experience, and is only very losely related to powerful cars.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
vlv8vic said:
A d!ckhead will always be a d!ckhead, thats that.
But there's a massive difference between a trained d1ckhead who knows how to escape/avoid sticky situations and your average garden variety knob.

I'm all for different levels of license. Makes a lot of sense to me. If you wanna drive a powerful car, you should be required to attend advanced driving courses.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
clixanup said:
But there's a massive difference between a trained d1ckhead who knows how to escape/avoid sticky situations and your average garden variety knob.

I'm all for different levels of license. Makes a lot of sense to me. If you wanna drive a powerful car, you should be required to attend advanced driving courses.

Agreed, no matter what age.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
yeah the truck bit was down to experience and poor judgement, but thats what the issue with a lot of p platers is, is it not? They think they can do something but cant, at least the people in the camrys know they require more time and space to overtake instead of trying to dart infront of a truck.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
edit: doublepost

Last edited:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i didnt know the first couple of times it would take alot longer to wind up the camry. maybe we should be trained in little slow cars? i think you may have turned things around a little there....

agree with clixanups last comment about the d!ckheads. dont agree with the bit after that. like i said, ive done it my whole driving life and never had any issues.
maybe everyone should have to go to a shrink as well as getting a licence, that way we would officially know if tehy are a natural d!ckhead and keep them off the road.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
vlv8vic said:
i didnt know the first couple of times it would take alot longer to wind up the camry. maybe we should be trained in little slow cars? i think you may have turned things around a little there....

agree with clixanups last comment about the d!ckheads. dont agree with the bit after that. like i said, ive done it my whole driving life and never had any issues.
maybe everyone should have to go to a shrink as well as getting a licence, that way we would officially know if tehy are a natural d!ckhead and keep them off the road.

Well Im banned from the road then :p

But seriously, how would a young person with no experience handle a car that kicks out in the rear in the wet? Actually how would anyone, this is why i feel skidpan training and advanced driving courses should be compulsory FOR ALL drivers.

S

siriansun

I stand by my earlier post.

Minux you are absolutely right in saying skid pan training should be essential. I am actually going to be doing an advanced driving class just for the experience. Even though I have been driving 10 years I am not afraid to admit that there are some situations that I wouldn't feel confident in. Hence the upcoming training.

I think there is a lot of expectation that comes with young drivers. Not many of them will admit that they don't always know how to handle their cars. There is NO SHAME in admitting you need experience. Hell I have only just started really driving a V8 and now that it is supercharged I know I have to get to know the car and the way it handles all over again.

This is a fantastic thread. Its great to get things out in the open.

Lucy