Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0204 - VE Injector Problems - How Common

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi everyone,

On the way home tonight the car started spluttering.
When I got home, I checked the OBD reader on and the car spat out a P0204 Injector Circuit Open - Cylinder 4.

I had a quick play around with the injector plug, and got the thing running again for a period of 2 minutes, before the spluttering happened again :(

Its a bit late for me to do any further diagnostics tonight, (And I have to work tomorrow),
But I was just wondering how common is it for an actual injector to fail on a V8 ?

(When I get a chance on the weekend, I will try and test the injector plug with a multimeter to check that it is getting power from the injector relay,
and then try and measure line to the ECU with the engine running to see if the ECU is grounding the injector properly).

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with Injectors on these things ?

(Cheers and thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can provide) :)

Last edited:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
V6's are not very common but I had one go within a year after buying my VE SS..... same sort of thing, one injector was stuck open flooding the damn cyclinder with fuel, sounded horrible......

I did the usual checks, removed and soaked/cleaned the injector without success.....

Ended up ordering a replacement injector from holden down the road, took 2 hours to fit it........ probably a bit harder no doubt on a V6.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Cheers and thankyou for your reply :)

Yeah mine is a V8 (Sorry I forgot to mention in the post).
Im kinda thinking that its not going to be the plug or wiring, as that seems to be in pretty good condition.

Is there anything I should be wary about changing the injector myself ?
(I guess its a matter of release the fuel pressure, undo the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the fuel rail in place,
and gently remove the problematic injector) ?

Cheers and thank you again for your reply.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Just thought I would post an update if anyone was searching for this in the future.

Injector 4 went open circuit. (Measured infinite Ohms on the multimeter).
The plug had power when the ignition was on. (Couldn't really test the open collector side).

Changed all 8 injectors over today, and the thing runs well.
(Though its taking a couple of cranks to start, so hopefully I do not have a small fuel leak somewhere that is allowing the fuel pressure to drop when engine is off).

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Just thought I would post an update if anyone was searching for this in the future.

Injector 4 went open circuit. (Measured infinite Ohms on the multimeter).
The plug had power when the ignition was on. (Couldn't really test the open collector side).

Changed all 8 injectors over today, and the thing runs well.
(Though its taking a couple of cranks to start, so hopefully I do not have a small fuel leak somewhere that is allowing the fuel pressure to drop when engine is off).

So you probably only needed to replace the one tho by the sounds of things. I have HP Tuners software so i could clearly see what was going on from a fueling perspective at the time.

I only replaced the one that failed on mine, haven't had any issues myself with the others and that was probably a year and half ago now.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, I only needed to change the one, but I bought an injector kit (8 aftermarket injectors) and thought whilst I had the rail off,
I would replace them all.

I did end up having a leak (My bad, it was my first time dealing with injectors), I crimped one of the upper O rings,
which was slowly leaking. (Only noticed it as it was slowly getting worse and worse).

So I'm now waiting for new O-Rings to replace the bad one that I mucked up.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
While I don't own my V8 anymore, just thought I'd also post an update. So probably like 4 months later after I had replaced one another actually went. I ended up buying a set from someone who was upgrading theirs ..... replaced them all and kept the new one/s spare... I sold the car probably 6 years later? I had cammed it and a bunch of things in those 6 years and never once had an injector go.

So yeh rule of thumb probably recommend replacing them all if you can afford it.

Sstagg2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 WM Statesman L76 1999 Hsv Clubsport vt ls1
While I don't own my V8 anymore, just thought I'd also post an update. So probably like 4 months later after I had replaced one another actually went. I ended up buying a set from someone who was upgrading theirs ..... replaced them all and kept the new one/s spare... I sold the car probably 6 years later? I had cammed it and a bunch of things in those 6 years and never once had an injector go.

So yeh rule of thumb probably recommend replacing them all if you can afford it.
Good onya for updating the thread half are left unanswered.. do you know if it was an l76 or l98 engine by chance?