Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint pains...

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
black wont look crap if done out doors
who ever said that dont know much about painting

in saying it would look crap as it will show all the imperfections in the panel as well as everything that is floating around in the air settling in the paint, if it was done in white or a lighter colour it would be far less obvious therfore getting a better finish...

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
this car was painted out doors bang smack in the middle of the driveway unprotected from the elements and it turned out fine in acrylic
DVC00569.jpg

and this one was painted in 3 days start to finish working around the clock basicly in a shed with proper prep work etc. all in 2pak
DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
in saying it would look crap as it will show all the imperfections in the panel as well as everything that is floating around in the air settling in the paint, if it was done in white or a lighter colour it would be far less obvious therfore getting a better finish...

a darker colour will only show panel work imperfections greater then another lighter colour
but if you look back he was more specific in the painting imperfections

all colours will show paint imperfections as a paint imperfection will stand out no matter what the colour

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
a darker colour will only show panel work imperfections greater then another lighter colour
but if you look back he was more specific in the painting imperfections

all colours will show paint imperfections as a paint imperfection will stand out no matter what the colour

That was my quote you referred to. Black paint shows EVERY speck of dirt, dust, bugs, moose **** and other foreign bodies that exist, just looking for a nice sticky surface to settle on. Sure, all paint will show the imperfections from airborne contamination to some extent, but black (and other dark colours like Raven), look worse.

I was also talking about the effects of any breeze on your paint coverage, if there are any breeze gusts, they can disperse the spray away from the intended target and create overspray over areas just painted. That was what I meant by a patchy finish. Don't infer I don't know much about spraying, I have resprayed complete cars and restored them from the ground up - I know the dangers.

Other issues to consider that haven't been mentioned - someone said make sure its nice and hot. No - hot panels cause the paint to dry before it hits the panel, leading to a rough and sandy finish. Panels ideally should be kept out of direct heat, and you need to try to ensure that they never get too warm.

Also, humidity. This can kill a good finish. If the humidity is high, don't spray outside, full stop. You will get a milky finish to your paint which won't rub out - you will have to wet rub and repaint when the humidity is lower.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
Well now I'm in crap...
The wether is in and there is no way i will even attempt to spray in the conditions forcast.

Forecast for Thursday
Partly cloudy. Patches of light morning frost.
Light winds tending northwesterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.
Geelong Partly cloudy. Min5 Max17

Forecast for Friday
Cloud increasing. Patches of light morning frost. Isolated showers later in the day.
Winds west to northwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h tending southwesterly up to 25 km/h during the evening.
GeelongFew showers developing. Min5 Max18

Forecast for Saturday
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers.
Winds west to southwesterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h.
GeelongShower or two. Min5 Max16

Forecast for Sunday
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers.
Winds west to southwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h.
GeelongShower or two. Min7 Max18

(I will be getting the car Saturday)

lol any1 in geelong area have a spare shed ?

Thanx for all the info guys but now i have to find somewhere to spray it out of the elements...

also vh_sle_81 thanx for the pics and those cars look better than i was expecting mine to turn out...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Mickey

Even if you can get the car out of the weather, the chances are that the humidity will be too high, particularly if it is raining.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
if you hit the matte black with a flat clear coat it will seal it and wont give it a glossy look. Have been talking about it to a spraypainter and it seems like its all good, also helps to hide any minor imperfections in the body

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
Hi Mickey

Even if you can get the car out of the weather, the chances are that the humidity will be too high, particularly if it is raining.

mmm... i agree... have to try and figure something out...

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
mate bunnings sell those marque tent thingys perfect for spraying cars, they have sides and come with pretty windows lol, last one i grabed was $100 which had damaged box, worth a look but would still need to wait off till its not so humid etc.. haha just dont leave it up once ur down as mine ended up a few houses down the street when a gust of wind came..

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
You can always get the tent... possible a weather cover for when a coat has dryed....u can always paint oneday then wait a few if theres more sanding thats needed i guess.. just make sure the cars clean n dry ready for the next coat.. i doesnt take all day to paint a car with a gun only a few hours..over a few days..depending how many coats u want..then a day or 2 for clear coat..