Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
If you’re not driving it much I’d say a nice polish and wax.

I’ve been getting really good results from Dodo Juice.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Dodo Juice Black Widow (for black cars)

check out carcareproducts.com.au

Hate the names of the products they use. They make it sound like you need to be a professional to use there products. Angel wax are the same.
Also when I use the auto glym canabara wax, I notice that it works for months. The other week I was running late to a car meet, so decided to go to car wash and just use the spray foam and it literally stripped my car of all the wax and products I've previously used on my car. There is a difference in these products, when you say it's marketing bullshit you clearly buy armour all, and expect it to work like expansive products. I'm not saying spend more get more, but if you don't know, then you don't know.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Hate the names of the products they use. They make it sound like you need to be a professional to use there products. Angel wax are the same.
Also when I use the auto glym canabara wax, I notice that it works for months. The other week I was running late to a car meet, so decided to go to car wash and just use the spray foam and it literally stripped my car of all the wax and products I've previously used on my car. There is a difference in these products, when you say it's marketing bullshit you clearly buy armour all, and expect it to work like expansive products. I'm not saying spend more get more, but if you don't know, then you don't know.

Lol Lime Prime. Just call it Polish Dodo Juice.

awesome product. I drive my Redline almost daily and it holds up very well. I reapply every 10 or so weeks.

If I just want to high pressure the dirt/dust off I can get away with “drying” it with a slow stream of water with very minimal water marks.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Your reaction’s interesting; I’ve always been mildly amused, if slightly groany; like with a particularly bad Dad Joke.
I think they’re just trying to be a bit lighthearted & not too serious about it, and that makes sense to me because it’s an entire industry based around merely washing cars & yet the products are super expensive and people spend hours+hours+hours on stuff which to non-enthusiasts looks like exactly the same result as dragging a dirty sponge over the paint. :)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Many to chose from. Found this in Supercheap "Bowdens Own" Carnauba Body wax 500ML
I will hazard a guess that wax for black cars is 99% the exact same **** as wax for any other car. And if we are still talking about the runny waxes that come in a bottle and you pour a little bit into a rag type waxes, they contain bugger all wax anyway. :(
Last night I was doing plenty of reading elsewhere as I read the same that bottle type wax that that easy to uses have little wax or you need to uses it more than one time in as row. Interesting!!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
A bit of elbow grease and $28 at Supercheap Wax it yourself, Then you know its been done properly,
And you probably will only use under half a bottle anyway, so you have enough for next time around,
And you have achieved it personally,
And then you can look back on how much you have saved on BS,
I guess they think,
If you can't Dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle they with Bull !!.
Looks like I will be doing this way, I nearly 70 and most men at 70 do not come up good of a full days work ( Worked on my Son Statesman Again + Rear seat cover on my Red Omega, yes rear seats have to be removed) work but I tested my self yesterday after a full day of working buy going for a 4k walk up some steep hills and when I came home I was FINE!!, actually better before I started. Now that is a test to see how can I polish a Large car like the Caprice without having another Heart Attack.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Big advocate of Ceramic coating.
I personally would not do it myself.
Being a black car I am going to guess that there are swirl marks because if you breathe on a black car it will leave swirl marks!!! If that is the case I would go for a paint correction and ceramic coating. Yep, will probably cost $1500-$2000 but you won’t have swirl marks and greatly reduce the chance of getting fresh ones because you won’t need to use cloths etc to wash as a pressure wash will bring it back to looking killer again. No chamois either, get a blower and just blow the water drops off.
It is all I have done to mine since I had the coating done and it comes up like it was just done every time.
Taken note of this

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The only reason water beads after paint protection is because the paint has been buffed. Try it. I bet you couldn’t tell which car has been treated.
You’re kidding yourself massively if you think you can buff a car, drive it around for 3 years with the only paint-care being to wash it, and it’ll still be shiny & the dirt+water will just run off it. After 3 years without waxing, the paint’s starting to get rough to the touch & catching everything from the air.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Decisions, decisions so many to chooses from. I might try the Supercheap "Bowdens Own" Carnauba Body wax, Yes I know its out of a bottle that possible have less wax and might have to do it twice and since this is the case I will buy 2 bottles + get a few of that round applicator. Yes once you drop it on the Floor you throw it away.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Decisions, decisions so many to chooses from. I might try the Supercheap "Bowdens Own" Carnauba Body wax, Yes I know its out of a bottle that possible have less wax and might have to do it twice and since this is the case I will buy 2 bottles + get a few of that round applicator. Yes once you drop it on the Floor you throw it away.
I love Bowdens products, but as others have said, if you are going to the effort of waxing, use wax. If you're going to Supercheap or Autobarn, just grab a tin of Mothers California Gold or similar. Whatever it is just make certain it's carnuba wax. It's no harder to use than creams, but the results are far superior.
For mine, if you can afdord it, have a good ceramic paint protection applied. Everytime i look at my Motorsport, i know it was a good decision. While I wash npolish and wax my Redline. It's still nowhere near as good a finish as the Motorsport with Modesta applied.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t forget that you need to clean the paint up properly before you wax it. The first step in those 2- and 3-step products is usually for cleaning the paint & maybe even slightly buffing it to remove scratches & swirls etc before you seal them under wax. Yes, a good wax will hide that stuff a little, but there’s value in prepping the paint before waxing, before the first time you do it at least.

As was already mentioned above, carcareproducts.com.au is worth a squizz, not just for products but they’ve got lots of how-to’s. Yes a lot of it is overkill, but still worth a read.