Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint restoration VT

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could try to tackle the prep but TBH most places won't want to respray over your own undercoating. It's pretty hard and quite time consuming to get a car undercoated ready for colour. This is why a respray is $9k - $10k these days.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
$9k - $10k these days
upload_2020-5-13_0-23-25.jpeg

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The most prep you can do yourself if you want someone else to spray it is to remove badges, lights, windows, trim etc like has already been mentioned.
If your on a budget best try finding a spray painter who will do it over a few weekends for cash.

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Hey OP I know you probably love your car, but would you consider buying a another cheap Commodore in better condition and fixing that up? Probably a better option than painting which will cost a few grand minimum. A VT/VX in good shape is about $1500 these days, sometimes $1000.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hey OP I know you probably love your car, but would you consider buying a another cheap Commodore in better condition and fixing that up? Probably a better option than painting which will cost a few grand minimum. A VT/VX in good shape is about $1500 these days, sometimes $1000.

Agree. My first thought, when I looked at the pictures (especially the roof), was that a quick trip to the wreckers would be the best solution. The car is in an absolutely disgraceful condition, and I'm sure that the paint is only the start of the things that are wrong with this car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree. My first thought, when I looked at the pictures (especially the roof), was that a quick trip to the wreckers would be the best solution. The car is in an absolutely disgraceful condition, and I'm sure that the paint is only the start of the things that are wrong with this car.

Oh dear, I just saw the pics, it will be $7k+ to rectify that paint, more if there are dents. There is a good chance they may want to strip the old paint off, adding to the cost. But hey don't take my word for it, go get some quotes and see for yourself.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are looking at the paint restoration as a means of learning a new skill, go for it, you won't be screwing up a good paint job for a DIY look.
But as a means of restoring it as a keeper, it is not a DIY, and a professional job will vastly cost more than the car is worth, with a less life left in it than good example.
How do I know this ? Because I have been there, done that, and at the end wondered why I bothered. Twice.