Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint stripping wheels

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I'd strip them yourself. I'm already in at 2.5hrs, maybe 3hrs just getting them to this stage.

Yeah. It's annoying as I was thinking about doing them myself but then went nah, i'll leave it. The wheel shop is about 40 mins away so just far enough to be annoying if I need to drive back down to pick up, come back then drop them off again haha.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
You can see in the last pic where the paint is flaking off, it's been laid on pretty thick.

IMG_8678_2.JPG

Wheel 2 Rear Resize.JPG
Wheel 4 Front Resize.JPG

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
No, these are silver (looks like Hi Ho silver) but have been painted multiple times so its all got to come off.
I was just enquiring in case the set I had made there way to you lol

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was just enquiring in case the set I had made there way to you lol

Hah ok, nah I picked these up from NSW north coast. Used to be reasonably easy to find 10 years ago, now rare as!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Paint stripper is expensive (for what it is) and the waste it produces is nasty so should be disposed of correctly and not via general trash. I don't know who takes such waste.

As for getting paint off, I've known people to use brake fluid to strip paint from older cars using older paint tech. But you'd thing they'd use a brake fluid resistand paint on modern painted wheels so such probably wont work. However, if you have some old brake fluid on hand it costs nothing to try (just paint it on and leave it overnight).

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
have you approached a power coater to get a quote?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Paint stripper is expensive (for what it is) and the waste it produces is nasty so should be disposed of correctly and not via general trash. I don't know who takes such waste.

As for getting paint off, I've known people to use brake fluid to strip paint from older cars using older paint tech. But you'd thing they'd use a brake fluid resistand paint on modern painted wheels so such probably wont work. However, if you have some old brake fluid on hand it costs nothing to try (just paint it on and leave it overnight).
Brake Fluid can penetrate the sub surface and should never be used if you want to paint over it. The OP has the choice of paint stripper or pay someone about 3hrs per wheel to garnet blast.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Even with mine pretty much done I will still have around 30mins per rim on the sandblaster as its gets done at about 90-110psi. Sandblasting alloy wheels is slow and need to be done carefully to not remove material other than paint. Imagine 12-14 hours of sandblasting at $150 an hour. This is why paint stripper is the most economical and simplest solution.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
have you approached a power coater to get a quote?

Yeah, nobody seems to do chemical stripping anymore. And all said the blasting could get very expensive if multiple layers of paint.

And abrasive blasting, they can't guarantee they won't chew up the alloy.

Edit - I think I'll just pick them up and have a go myself.

Last edited: