Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint stripping wheels

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
$60 a wheel is pretty good. You would use $25 of stripper per wheel to clean them up. Then you would still have additional time sandblasting them to get the bits the stripper couldn't remove. With them soaked in a tank, 20mins per rim might be all it takes in the cabinet. Done well.

All up its going to cost a touch over $1200 to restore the wheels, including the paint stripping, fixing all gutter rash and painting. If there a buckles on all the wheels it is potentially a restoration cost of approx $2k.

Now I sort of understand why fully restored VP GTS wheels were being advertised for 3-4k.

Given I'll be using them and putting my SV5000 wheels away for restoration later on, it's worth it for me.

At $60 per wheel, I'd look at that....Saves you potentially damaging a wheel and getting paint stripper on yourself....Pass on that one

Keep us posted which way you go and how you go, with pictures

Yeh it would be an absolute prick of a job. Going to pick them up tomorrow.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeh it would be an absolute prick of a job. Going to pick them up tomorrow.
You're not wrong there. My two spare Monaro rims I bought quite a few weeks back and it will take me another four - five months before I get them finished. Last set of four I did took me over six months to restore. Hahahaha

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wheels now at new shop. They didn't seem fazed by them, also had Hi Ho silver paint code on hand and can source tyres.

If they can resurrect this set then for sure will be sending my SV5000 wheels to them.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wheels now at new shop. They didn't seem fazed by them, also had Hi Ho silver paint code on hand and can source tyres.

If they can resurrect this set then for sure will be sending my SV5000 wheels to them.

If they do a good job, post up their name for future reference for others

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah for sure. They called me today, have already removed tyres and assessed damage. That was quick! All four buckled, two badly but repairable. They told me the work required and the cost to restore, and it's under the $2k I thought it would be. Cheaper than the original shop, who told me the colour I wanted would cost heaps. They are starting the stripping process today.

Two weeks maybe until they are done.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Took a bit longer but they should be ready next week. Asked them to source a set of Michelin pilot sports for them and they said yep no worries.

Finished cleaning up the centre caps and putting the new decals on so it’s almost there.

May look at getting a different set of wheel nuts. When I put the black caps on the originals they protrude from the wheel surface. Not sure if they were like that factory, gotta try and find some images.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found Saas do a shorter wheel nut for a VE that suits VZ Monaro rims. I reckon they would have something to suit your wheels and model.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wheels are done, they turned out mint. Got them done at Depulu Wheels on the Gold Coast. Highly recommended.

IMG_9536_2.JPG

IMG_9537_2.JPG

IMG_9532_2.JPG

IMG_9540_2.JPG

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY