Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint stripping wheels

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Grit blasting will almost certainly damage the alloy. I have seen what grit does to steel. I would not even chance it on alloy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Resto blokes still use chemical tanks to remove paint on some things but these tanks are not safe on alloy.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah, nobody seems to do chemical stripping anymore. And all said the blasting could get very expensive if multiple layers of paint.

And abrasive blasting, they can't guarantee they won't chew up the alloy.

Edit - I think I'll just pick them up and have a go myself.
Try a chrome platers. They usually have paint strippers there. Would have to strip the paint before polishing & plating.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Resto blokes still use chemical tanks to remove paint on some things but these tanks are not safe on alloy.
Depends what the tank is set up to strip? Steel, aluminium, alloy. Different formulas for different metals.

No good going to shops, they would not know.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Ok I spoke to another wheel resto place down the coast and they have in-house paint stripping facilities, they are also hesitant on blasting due to potential damage.

Problem might be solved.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok I spoke to another wheel resto place down the coast and they have in-house paint stripping facilities, they are also hesitant on blasting due to potential damage.

Problem might be solved.
You will likely find it will need a bead blast regardless as that helps the paint stick as it gets rid of anything left on the surface. Plus it helps clean out anything stuck in the rash. Garnet or bead blasting won't damage the surface if they know what they are doing, but yeah strip then blast is the go.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
You will likely find it will need a bead blast regardless as that helps the paint stick as it gets rid of anything left on the surface. Plus it helps clean out anything stuck in the rash. Garnet or bead blasting won't damage the surface if they know what they are doing, but yeah strip then blast is the go.

Yep. Speaking to the shop that has my wheels at the moment, they seemed to think that stripping then a very light blast is the go.

New shop drops them into a tank for a few hours, $60/wheel so much better than me doing it!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$60 a wheel is pretty good. You would use $25 of stripper per wheel to clean them up. Then you would still have additional time sandblasting them to get the bits the stripper couldn't remove. With them soaked in a tank, 20mins per rim might be all it takes in the cabinet. Done well.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep. Speaking to the shop that has my wheels at the moment, they seemed to think that stripping then a very light blast is the go.

New shop drops them into a tank for a few hours, $60/wheel so much better than me doing it!

At $60 per wheel, I'd look at that....Saves you potentially damaging a wheel and getting paint stripper on yourself....Pass on that one

Keep us posted which way you go and how you go, with pictures

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Brake Fluid can penetrate the sub surface and should never be used if you want to paint over it. The OP has the choice of paint stripper or pay someone about 3hrs per wheel to garnet blast.
Which is why after any chemical stripping process many powder coaters would bake their parts in huge ovens before painting :eek:

And as second hand ovens are cheap, a small wheel may fit inside one, so in theory such baking can be done at home :cool: It's probably better if one can find a used larger commercial oven for such activities especially for the bigger wheels ;)

Using your home oven for such things may be life threatening if the missus finds out :eek: not to mention the roasts may taste a little funny for a while :p

Last edited: