Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting interior.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
so whats the go with painting the dash trim?

i really want a kit like this> HOLDEN COMMODORE VY VZ S SS HSV CUSTOM DASH TRIM SET | eBay << but thats expensive.

like do you just take it off, buy a can of paint any colour you like, tape up what you don't want coloured and then spray it?

i have no clue.

thanks

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh it's pretty much that simple.

But prep work is most imortant, You have to make sure the surface is super clean, Any amourall or anyting will ruin the work strait away.

U need to clean it really really well with like wax and grease remover aswell as turps.

Use very good quality paint's, You a high quality plastic or simmluar primer so the paint has something good to stick too, Otherwise it will just chip and scratch off

I have painted many dashes over the past few year's and prep work is key! Prep prep prep! If not it will not last long and will look tacky!
Many people say to use like vinal paint but imo it is not all that nessary, But if you can find the colour you like in vial paint then you may as well use it.

I use a high quality plasic and vinal primer, then go over that with whatever colour is chosen using acrilic.

You can use a good quality top coat if you want to, This can protct the paint as well as add a nice shine.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
could i also paint the head unit facia and gauge holder? (its all grey)

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh you can paint whatever you like, All i highly suggest is to not paint high traffic areas like headlight switch, grar knob,handbrake, door handles ect, Otherwise the paint will wear off andd look horrid.

Make sure to use good paint, Clean the surface 10 time's over too be sure it clean, paint on a good weather hot'ish day, leave the coat's to dry the required time, And make sure there is good weather for the coming days, You dont want to be working in the rain!

Don't go overboard, Painted dashes can look awesome but not if it's done overboard.

If you like a good gloss overcoat then i suggest do plenty of gloss, this will protect the paint in the long run.

Be sure to let the primer dry completly before continuing, This is very important because this is what the paint has to stick too.

Ohh, and warm the paint up in some warm water and shake well before use, I use this method, Warm paint adhere's much better!, Especially warm it if it is a cold day, Along with the plastics you are about to paint, plastic's can be warmed with a hairdryer

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Shake paint very well before hand
Use good quality paint
Make sure the surfaces are extreamly clean! <very important
Do it on a good day
Leave the paint to dry for the required time, Inc primer.
Don't paint high traffic areas.
Warm the paint before use.
Have a clean dust free enviroment with no chemicals in the air, inc amourall.
Dont paint in high wind.
Do nice light even coat's, The more lightish coat's the better.
And after the paint is fully dried after like a week, Give it a 2000g wet sand to bring up the shine.

Do the above and you will have no problem's and will turn out with a decent paint job, Then you can look at it and admire you're nice new paint work!

It will turn out just as good as the ebay deal.

Raibo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 10
have you thought about vinyl wrapping the interior instead of painting?

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah man ill do mine one day too....im pretty sure you will hear it heaps "PREP WORK IS SUPER IMPORTANT!" hahaha but really it is :p i did my rims and used 3 cans of paint..... 6-7 coats each so it should be strong hahaha... there is also primer and stuff for plastics... i dont know much about painting but im pretty sure
-prep
-primer
-top coat
-second coat
-clear (if you want..)

good luck man, love to see some pics when your done :D