Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting You Dash

Scream

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 08
Nice write up mate, it helped me immensley. Thought i'd give it go and ended up with a reasonble finish. Made a couple of fundamental errors but i'm not to worried as i will buy the parts from the wreckers a little further down the track and do the job properly. Here's the results ....

IMGA0103.JPG

IMGA0104.JPG

IMGA0105.JPG

IMGA0106.JPG

IMGA0107.JPG

IMGA0110.JPG

IMGA0111.JPG

First post here to, so be gentle with me. :thumbsup:

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
There is nothing wrong with that for a first post

Good stuff :thumbsup:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
just to add a few tips.

Clear coat works best when its warm (so im told) leave the piece you want to paint in the sun for a bit to warm up and also leave the can in the sun, if clear coat is cold it can turn white or not give you a gloss finish, i learnt this the hard way.

allow it to dry before attempting to reinstall, if you try to install you bits when the paint is only touch dry you will make a mess off it, leave it in the sun for a couple hours and let it harden, nothing worse than being impatiant and installing it too early and scratching it.

good write up :)

Yes , good write up . You can also sit the can in a bucket of hot water to give the clear more shine ,just don't forget to wipe it dry or you might end up with water drips on the newly painted dash .

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Executive Commodore
Will try this soon for sure, going to paint VR commodore dash white !:D

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
Will try this soon for sure, going to paint VR commodore dash white !:D

make sure u never loose ya sunglasses...I had the dash in me VC white and even on a overcast day it could be blinding at times....sunny days were a paint....but it did look good :thumbsup:

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
how much paint will i need to paint the part around the guage cluster and the part around the gear selector?
i want to do it silver but to get the paint i need to go out of town so i want to make sure i get enough,

how many mls of colour and how manyy mls of clear?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I tried cleaning up my power window controls. No issue with contact cleaner, but when i hit some hard sticky areas with throttle cleaner, the colour is coming off. So even the standard grey on the interior plastic of the VX 01 Calais etc is painted on ??? I know its a charcoal grey colour, how would i go about repainting it ?