Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Panel Filter vs CAI (for V6)

mc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Well i've been looking at plenty of threads here and everyone seems to be hating on the modification of V6's, saying they should just buy a V8, so if you're going to suggest that don't post in this thread.

I want to know which would be better in terms of maybe some slight gains, but also better fuel consumption as most of my trips are over long distance, and mainly value for money. The panel filters seem to be 4x cheaper than a full CAI, but i'm not entirely sure that the CAI is going to be 4x better.

So what would you suggest in terms for best value for money; Panel filter or CAI? or perhaps getting a different exhaust as the standard Berlina exhaust probably has some room for improvement?

Thanks.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Disregard most threads regarding modification comparisons. More cylinders/more valves/more displacement wins. Its irrelevant here though.

The biggest gains you'll get will be from the exhaust (out of the CAI vs Filter vs Exhaust). If you're after performance then I recomend you bite the bullet and spend the coin.
Extractors, and a twin 2 1/4 system with High flow cats.

As for the air intake, unless you're willing to spend lots reinventing the wheel the standard setup will be fine. Just make sure the filter is clean.
You might even want to talk to Steve ( I think it is) from mace about some manifold spacers to help pick up some bottom end torque.

mc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Yeah, i'm well aware that a V8 will win ha.

Just looking for mainly fuel economy, but also some slight gains because there is definitely some room for improvement over stock. However i'm looking to spend the least amount as possible because well, i have a V6 Berlina, so not much point dumping a lot of money into it on the performance side of things because it's just a daily driver, not a race/perfomance car by any means, and it's not going to make much of a difference anyway.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Just putting a new cat back exhaust system will just make it noisy.
If you want any sort of gain at all, whether it be economy or power (frankly the go hand in hand when you're talking about modifying a standard car) then you've gotta do the the whole exhaust.

But the exhaust manifolds and cats is where I would start. Even if the rest of it was left standard.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
when u upgrade my stock intake to a OTR intake + tune, my power went from 211KW/480nm to 230kw/550nm
then did headers, cat back and mufflers now at 278kw/620nm + tune

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
From someone whose been there, done that. I'd go with the airhammer CAI, they are $250 on ebay. Pretty good gains and throttle response feels alot better. Went in for a computer upgrade and fitted the stock one back on and it felt so restrictive, dont know how people can say no difference. Fuel savings were decent as well. (if you dont start thrashing it lol)

I'd leave the CATS alone, as you will need a tune to remove the engine light (you did say least amount as possible) and just get pacemaker headers 3into1 + get them coated.

As far as exhaust, if possible get a sv6/ss exhaust and throw that on but replace the rear mufflers (pacemaker/redback) and cut out the hotdogs/crimp section and replace with straight through pipe. I copied a few people on here like tomholzy and monaro327, they seemed rather happy with the results.

Cheers

nazphu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ive got the Growler cold air induction kit on my SV6, and i'm very happy with it. Noticeable increase in low end power, improves fuel economy (when you're not driving hard), and gives it a good sound. Only other mod I've made is the replacement of my rear mufflers with the HSV twin tip ones.

CAI wouldnt be 4x better than a good panel filter in my opinion, but I figured theres no point going with the panel and still wanting more.. So yeah, i reckon grab some cheap 2nd hand twin tip mufflers and go the CAI, i'm stoked with how it turned out on mine- sounds great and goes well

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i reckon grab some cheap 2nd hand twin tip mufflers

I'm giving away my VE Clubby mufflers atm. I created a thread with a whole bunch of free VE stuff but it's gone. NFI why - it didn't break any rules and there's no dedicated section for giving away stuff. Will address that with the mods tomorrow.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I'm giving away my VE Clubby mufflers atm. I created a thread with a whole bunch of free VE stuff but it's gone. NFI why - it didn't break any rules and there's no dedicated section for giving away stuff. Will address that with the mods tomorrow.
sounds crap, I have someve stuff coming up for free.eg ss catback system,stuff removed for a OTR and mafless tune.

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

I agree this is bull. Giving away stuff for free and it gets deleted?? Maybe just put it in ur sig??