Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Panel Filter vs CAI (for V6)

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I've got a airhammer setup and the difference in throttle response and fuel economy were surprising. KARTAL, for $250 off ebay I'd think it's probably the best bet. That OTR looks the goods though, and I think it would work extremly well in a MAFless application.

BTW thanks for clearing that up Mace.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
vestockintake.png

v620airhammer20intake20.jpg

Just from those pictures, you'd have to be blind to not see how restrictive the stock system is.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Replace the maf pipe with some 3" pipe and see what happens.
You could make that that "Air Hammer" with $10 worth of pipe from the hardware store and $20 worth of silicon bends.

I'll agree that the resonators in the OEM maf pipe suck, All they're there to do act as an expansion chamber, which slows the air down, thus making less noise. All you've gotta do is remove that.
The Air hammer couldn't be worse then the OEM setup. But is it $250 worth of better?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
You could make anything engine related yourself if you had the skills/time/experience/tools.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but I'm saying anyone, regardless of skill could make that with some pipe and silicon bends. If you can put a round peg in the round hole, you can make that for 6p 10.

MACE

Reaction score
Comparing a factory panel filter/box arrangement and a pod filter the latter (with a similar surface area) will out flow the factory box hands down (unless the pod filter is poorly located). The reason being is that the flow into the pod filter is much more direct unlike the panel filter which zig zags into the inlet.

I guarantee that the air hammer setup would be much better then the factory setup even if the factory setup did have a upgraded smooth pipe in between the throttle body and the MAF. Good example of this is the SS Inductions VE kits

SS Inductions - Performance Automotive Enhancements

At the end of the day though everyone has different needs/values and abilities; to suggest that the only prerequisite for everyone developing a CAI is the ability to put a round peg into a round hole are certainly not accurate. Many reasons for this, some people might be time poor, have limited skills to create a quality product that looks factory like (not bunnings like) or they simply cbf :D

Cheers,
Steve

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've never heard anything good about those SS inductions kits.
And I would personally want some hard evidence that the pods work any better before I went that direction over an OTR.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and try some of this stuff out too. If someone can tell me the best way to get reliable data.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Monaro327 and 1989mitty both preferred the airhammer/k&n charger type CAI over the OTR. Mitty had a russo OTR if I remember correctly.

But I'd still like to see some dyno sheets as you say soop.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dyno charts wont prove **** really.
Intake temp and flow is a goer.

I can measure all that with my scan tool :D