Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

parts compatibility

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Hi guys question on o2 sensors and replacements when a car has had an engine swap with a different year build
The Car is 2006 omega and had a Leo engine that was replaced with a 2008 Leo engine so engines were perfect matches according to Holden, but would the precat sensors be replaced with ones for a 2008 or 2006 mechanics and parts shops I’ve asked said to go by the body so replace with sensors for 2006 I’ve had them replaced but still won’t work I’m sure they are Bosch I will double check over the weekend, I seem to have absolutely no issue with the rear sensors no codes or anything they were also replaced I’m guessing the auto electrician hoped it would be the magic fix, so I’m assuming the front and rear set would be matching each other with the codes, is there anyway to know which sensors the car is meant to have whether it be 2006 or 2008 3 wire or 4 wire the originals had to be changed due to not plugging into the new engine thank you

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
upto 2008 LEO vinXXXXX all had same front and rear, fronts 5 wire and rears 4 wire, unless u have late 2008 which had 4 wire fronts and same 4 wire rears, the sensors should have the same threads so use the ones that suit the wiring/ecu so it all matches, it dosnt matter what engine is in there the sensors are to suit the ecu type

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
upto 2008 LEO vinXXXXX all had same front and rear, fronts 5 wire and rears 4 wire, unless u have late 2008 which had 4 wire fronts and same 4 wire rears, the sensors should have the same threads so use the ones that suit the wiring/ecu so it all matches, it dosnt matter what engine is in there the sensors are to suit the ecu type

Thank you 07gts that info is a big help i appreciate it I’ll try and compare which I have installed at the moment to what you described, The originals definitely did not fit with the new engine and were replaced I’m trying to remember if the issue was the wires were shorter and didn’t reach the sensor plugs or the plugs didn’t pair up as there was a few issues of a lot of stuff not matching up, they weren’t checked to see it they suit the ecu as far as I’m aware But that could be my problem I’m having but surely the mechanic that did the swap out last week would of gotten correct ones, there is some confusion about exactly what the engine came from previous owner was told a 2008 omega sedan and shown videos of it running after consulting Holden I was advised it was a Ute they said 2008, after questioning the place who sold the engine he said sedan then changed to Ute once I stated the info Holden had said and he said it was a 2009 Ute

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the early 2008 upto Vin 8L100907 front 5 wire was a long semi circle plug 6 pins 5 actually used 525mm long loom
the later 2008 front 4 wire flat row plug (same as your rear sensors should be) 375mm long loom

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
The originals and new both were the flat row versions I remember that I assume the current new ones are the flats also, The donor vin was 9L184036 my vin is 7L859967 I’m guesing the 9 and 7 before the L stand for the year of first registration not the build year, I have a feeling I’m gonna be end up being screwed this car is giving me so much grief and regret I should of stuck with my old girl so happy I haven’t gotten rid of it yet she saves me with all this time my ve is in the mechanics or auto electrician shops, thought I was scoring a great deal fresh decent low k engine with the revised chains new gearbox tyres bunch of other stuff replaced, the car came from family so it wasn’t a case of Dodgey seller they have offered to buy it back but I won’t accepting knowing they will be just as screwed.