Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 PCV Hoses - WTF?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Im trying to solve a problem atm where my car is ideling like ass so i thought id start with the basics and check the PCV system.

This is first time ive had the system apart (hoses between rocker cover and TB) and for the external appearance it just looked like 2 hoses.

Once i got it all out (with some serious effort), it became quite clear that they were not your usual hoses.

They were completly RS (hard, very brittle + cracked) so replacing them was a good plan however finding them was a bit of a mission.

Went to AuotBarn, Repco etc. and eveyone was like "Wow, they are some special hoses - better go OEM from Holden". After hearing that a few times i lost my **** and decided i would just do my own thing.

Ended up buying some 3/8th hose, some 5/16th hose, some 3/4 hose onto the 3/8th Elbow adapter + some new clamps to make a new whole new system.

With a bit of love from the heat gun i got the 5/16th hose onto the 3/8th elbow, then ran some 3/8 hose to the PCV, from the other end i ran the 3/4 onto the rocker cover sleeve.

Firstly, i am shocked at how many different sized pieces there are to that puzzle. The TB, the PCV (2 ends) and Rocker Sleeve are all different sizes and need to fit in a really stupid small location with a 3/4inch heater hose also in the way.

Has anyone else had issues with replacing these hoses? Couldnt get to bursons cos they close at 1pm Sat for some stupid reason however i just thought it was a stupidly hard exercise to replace 2 bits of hose... which annoyingly enough have not solved my ideling problem.

aZK.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I done that same thing on my vn 5ltr.. The hose from the rocker cover was cracked and broke half way through and so i got some left over vac hose and made my own.. If your really stuck go to the wreckers and have a look for soft hoses..I done it when i put a new tpc in..

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Did it look anything like this?

pcv_tubing.jpg

Thats the LS1 PCV hose. It runs behind the manifold and practically ####ing sits on it. Mine melted all the way through at the elbow. Work couldnt get one (funnily enough, Burson... and we close at 12:30 :p), so had to go through Holden. 120 bucks they wanted.

jonko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5 ltr
are you talking about the oil lines that come out at front of the rocker cover? one of mie is off on my vn 5 ltr (drivers side) and is broken and it still idles normal (as normal is it gets with straight out extactors) have you thought about just getting a after market catch can for it? its just for when the oil pressure builds up the oil comes out there (i found out last weekend in burnout comp oil all over engine bay)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lmao we keep your PCV hose on the shelf at Bursons here in Moorabbin. Moulded to shape, oil resistant, the whole jig.

They're out there, just make your lazy parts interpreters do their job properly :p

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Figured you would... pity Bursons have the STUPIDIST trading hours in the world... that small window on saturday between 9 and 1pm is not enough. If my car shits itself on a saturday night, and i need it on Monday, your no good to me.

Instead repco got my business... because autobarn in my area seriously have no ####ing clue...no ****.

Anyway, issue is sorted now and if it decides to break again well i can just replace the standard hoses instead of some stupid custom moulded ****.

aZk.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lmao @ your local burson being open 'till 1pm, we shut at 12 noon ^_^