Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedal box

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Hey all just found some rust above my accelator pedal, mechanic says I’ve got to replace the pedal box, just wondering how big a job this is if anyone’s done it before cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hey all just found some rust above my accelator pedal, mechanic says I’ve got to replace the pedal box, just wondering how big a job this is if anyone’s done it before cheers
@Fu Manchu should be able to help, he has a thread on how he replaced a rusty panel where the throttle pedal mounts.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s a big job. You need to do it or buy a new car. If you do it, it’s an affordable repair.

It will take a long time. Allocate some time off work to do it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
It’s a big job. You need to do it or buy a new car. If you do it, it’s an affordable repair.

How long? Couple day to a week? And I imagine it’s a take the whole dash out and go from there. I reckon previous owner had the brake booster leak and when he replaced it saw the rust and sold it off

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute

Okay so I did pull the dash trim apart a bit more to get a better look and I’ve found a wire which dropped from somewhere, you wouldn’t happen to recognise where this bastard goes do you

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 45

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Set aside a week.
See if you can get a new one from Holden still.
Dash out.

You’ll be working in the engine bay as well. I had to remove the wiper cowl to get access in there. Plan to replace the clips. Do a search on the forum. I posted a photo of all the clip types and part numbers for the wiper cowl.

Brake booster will be removed from the master cylinder. Master cylinder stays. Booster will come out with the pedal plate.

Steering column can stay in. Just lay it on the floor.

Get a new texta
Buy lots of zip lock bags. Big and small. Bag bigger parts so they don’t get scratched.
Get a few plastic crates. Put all the bags in the crates organised into groups. Eg. Engine bay. Interior trim and say dash fixings. It will speed up putting it all right again. Of course everything is labeled in bags. Screws, parts. The lot. So quick and easy. All your photos to follow the reinstall.

You’ll need to get the insulation off the fire wall around the booster. I don’t fully recall if I had to remove the centre section. Coolant can leak from the heater hoses into the insulation. Check those. You’ll want to be checking the brake master for leaks. That will be easy to do once the booster is unbolted.

I also had to remove the top of the motor (easy job) to reach into the area a lot easier.

If you pay someone, you’d easily be up for thousands in labour.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay so I did pull the dash trim apart a bit more to get a better look and I’ve found a wire which dropped from somewhere, you wouldn’t happen to recognise where this bastard goes do you
No idea where that is from.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to download the factory manual as well.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Set aside a week.
See if you can get a new one from Holden still.
Dash out.

You’ll be working in the engine bay as well. I had to remove the wiper cowl to get access in there. Plan to replace the clips. Do a search on the forum. I posted a photo of all the clip types and part numbers for the wiper cowl.

Brake booster will be removed from the master cylinder. Master cylinder stays. Booster will come out with the pedal plate.

Steering column can stay in. Just lay it on the floor.

Get a new texta
Buy lots of zip lock bags. Big and small. Bag bigger parts so they don’t get scratched.
Get a few plastic crates. Put all the bags in the crates organised into groups. Eg. Engine bay. Interior trim and say dash fixings. It will speed up putting it all right again. Of course everything is labeled in bags. Screws, parts. The lot. So quick and easy. All your photos to follow the reinstall.

You’ll need to get the insulation off the fire wall around the booster. I don’t fully recall if I had to remove the centre section. Coolant can leak from the heater hoses into the insulation. Check those. You’ll want to be checking the brake master for leaks. That will be easy to do once the booster is unbolted.

I also had to remove the top of the motor (easy job) to reach into the area a lot easier.

If you pay someone, you’d easily be up for thousands in labour.
Okay cheer’s definitely sounds like a big job, I’ve seen a couple of pedal boxes for around 100$, does that sound about the right price? But I will call Holden aswell and check. And by top of the motor do you mean just the intake manifold or down to the rocker cover even, thanks mate