Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedal box

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Set aside a week.
See if you can get a new one from Holden still.
Dash out.

You’ll be working in the engine bay as well. I had to remove the wiper cowl to get access in there. Plan to replace the clips. Do a search on the forum. I posted a photo of all the clip types and part numbers for the wiper cowl.

Brake booster will be removed from the master cylinder. Master cylinder stays. Booster will come out with the pedal plate.

Steering column can stay in. Just lay it on the floor.

Get a new texta
Buy lots of zip lock bags. Big and small. Bag bigger parts so they don’t get scratched.
Get a few plastic crates. Put all the bags in the crates organised into groups. Eg. Engine bay. Interior trim and say dash fixings. It will speed up putting it all right again. Of course everything is labeled in bags. Screws, parts. The lot. So quick and easy. All your photos to follow the reinstall.

You’ll need to get the insulation off the fire wall around the booster. I don’t fully recall if I had to remove the centre section. Coolant can leak from the heater hoses into the insulation. Check those. You’ll want to be checking the brake master for leaks. That will be easy to do once the booster is unbolted.

I also had to remove the top of the motor (easy job) to reach into the area a lot easier.

If you pay someone, you’d easily be up for thousands in labour.
I’m rereading this and I’m checking did you have to take out the whole dash? Or where you able to just remove underneath the steering wheel and column on the drivers side?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I still have all my notes and lots of photos. My intention was to do a walkthrough for people.

I think the hardest things were figuring out the way the electrical plugs come apart. Also navigating the factory manual without having active links. You do get good at it though using the search function.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
I still have all my notes and lots of photos. My intention was to do a walkthrough for people.

I think the hardest things were figuring out the way the electrical plugs come apart. Also navigating the factory manual without having active links. You do get good at it though using the search function.
Yeah that sounds awesome, I imagine taking plastic parts off without snapping them was also a pain

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Didn't you post a heap of pics on it ?

Was it in your Calais thread or another ?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that sounds awesome, I imagine taking plastic parts off without snapping them was also a pain
That is easy.
You need a set of nylon pry tools. They will be one of your most valuable tools. Not expensive.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
That is easy.
You need a set of nylon pry tools. They will be one of your most valuable tools. Not expensive.
Sweet thanks, I think I’ve seen a thread you were in which you posted pics of your dash fully torn down, is that the extent you need to go to for this? Even taking apart the passenger side?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get a bunch of those white interior clips. If you loose some or break them, no biggie.
IMG_4917.jpeg

If yours is series 2, be very gentle removing the panel around the headunit. Especially bottom centre of the screen. There’s some plastic clips there you need to get your hand into to squeeze them to release the panel.
Otherwise you’ll need a new panel.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Get a bunch of those white interior clips. If you loose some or break them, no biggie.
View attachment 260364
If yours is series 2, be very gentle removing the panel around the headunit. Especially bottom centre of the screen. There’s some plastic clips there you need to get your hand into to squeeze them to release the panel.
Thanks will order some ahead of time, and mines a series 1 luckily

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m rereading this and I’m checking did you have to take out the whole dash? Or where you able to just remove underneath the steering wheel and column on the drivers side?
You know what. I just went through loads of photos. I vaguely recall being glad I had to remove the HVAC anyway. It has to come out in order to get the pedal plate out? Maybe.

Here's some photos.

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9007.JPG

New one

IMG_4919.jpeg

Old one.

Had to overhaul the HVAC and found the rust by accident. My heart sank.

Look at it as an opportunity though.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
View attachment 260364
@Fu Manchu do you know what this thing is on the side of my glove box??

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpeg
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 47