Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedal box

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The rust happens where the studs are welded to the plate. I believe they had fkd the welds. If you bodge it up, it’s going to keep rusting.

Reactions: Lex
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
The rust happens where the studs are welded to the plate. I believe they had fkd the welds. If you bodge it up, it’s going to keep rusting.
They should only keep rusting if I don’t remove the current rust, or allow moisture to get back into it, which I’ll do everything to avoid, and for the surface rust I only mean on the brake mount, the accelerator pedal one is definitely fcked but if I remove the current rust and use proper filler, strength won’t be an issue, most fillers nowadays are stronger then the metal it’s on. Provided I get all the rust and properly seal and protect it, then it shouldn’t be too bad. And at the very worst, by the time it becomes an issue again I’ll ideally have the coin to get someone who actually knows what they’re doing to do it. I haven’t mentioned it but I’m barely 19 doing this, I have mechanic apprentice friends saying they wouldn’t have attempted this haha. Should show how stupid I am ahaha

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You’ll be fine.
Your friends will get used to jobs of this scale as the years go on. Repairing HVAC units is part of car life.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
When it’s rusted like that, it will keep rusting.

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
They should only keep rusting if I don’t remove the current rust, or allow moisture to get back into it, which I’ll do everything to avoid, and for the surface rust I only mean on the brake mount, the accelerator pedal one is definitely fcked but if I remove the current rust and use proper filler, strength won’t be an issue, most fillers nowadays are stronger then the metal it’s on. Provided I get all the rust and properly seal and protect it, then it shouldn’t be too bad. And at the very worst, by the time it becomes an issue again I’ll ideally have the coin to get someone who actually knows what they’re doing to do it. I haven’t mentioned it but I’m barely 19 doing this, I have mechanic apprentice friends saying they wouldn’t have attempted this haha. Should show how stupid I am ahaha

Well done with what you have achieved so far. It’s definitely not an easy or quite job, and it’s one that would cost a bomb if you were paying someone else to do it.

It sounds like you are about 90% of the way there. So don’t stop now and do a patch up job, go the rest of the way and get that plate out and either replace it or fix it properly (if they are nla). Do it once, do it well!