Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 in TR6060 M6 Trans? Or another Dextron III ATF?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Penrite gear oil is definitely an improvement over the atf definitely go for it, I did my t56 and was 4.5L pretty sure the 6060 box is the same, double check that tho

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Would someone mind making a quick how-to on this - a few pic's and torque specs would be greatly appreciated!
have vehicle up but on a level angle if possible, undo the bolt at the rear to drain, then refill at the thread bolt in the middle (can say do not undo sticker) dont worry its just the holden sealed for life crap, fill it until oil comes out then all good, just use some sealant on thread and do up firm

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
have vehicle up but on a level angle if possible, undo the bolt at the rear to drain, then refill at the thread bolt in the middle (can say do not undo sticker) dont worry its just the holden sealed for life crap, fill it until oil comes out then all good, just use some sealant on thread and do up firm

.... DO NOT use thread tape
(on screw in fittings in alloy anything.. unless you are wealthy coz you will split the opening)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
.... DO NOT use thread tape
(on screw in fittings in alloy anything.. unless you are wealthy coz you will split the opening)
yes agree use a liquid sealant, i dont like the tape either usually causes more dramas then it fixes

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
been running it for few years now much better then the stock sealed for life oil

How does 'much better' translate into real world driving experience 07GTS? How long have you used it for?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
How does 'much better' translate into real world driving experience 07GTS? How long have you used it for?
my gearbox has been pretty good compared to some i hear about but the cold changing is better and then 1-2 and sometimes getting reverse is just non issue now every change in any temp is good, im also running boost so putting some torque thru the box and it just changes like normal, had it in for a couple years and think i might just do a change to some fresh stuff soon, id also recommend a oil pump or the big syringe things to get the oil back in otherwise it can be a PITA

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
For the box longevity the Penrite synth gear oil is a great alt to atf. Have ran it in both my two previous M6 rides & they shift great both cold & hot. The box is noticeably quieter in operation aswell.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Not that it really makes any difference if the trade-off is smoother shifting and better long term protection, but did anyone notice any increase in average fuel consumption after changing to 70W-75 synth oil over the genuine ATF?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Not that it really makes any difference if the trade-off is smoother shifting and better long term protection, but did anyone notice any increase in average fuel consumption after changing to 70W-75 synth oil over the genuine ATF?

Just to add to the other comments from people using Penrite Pro gear...........
I have run the Penrite Pro Gear in my 1 Tonner's Tremec for 5 years now without an issue, shifts a lot smoother and the box is so much quieter.
In regards to increased fuel consumption: I've never taken any notice to be honest............
I drive a V8 Holden ute and love it, if I was concerned about fuel consumption I would have bought some snotbox like a Camry Hybrid.