Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 in TR6060 M6 Trans? Or another Dextron III ATF?

Maz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R M6
have vehicle up but on a level angle if possible, undo the bolt at the rear to drain, then refill at the thread bolt in the middle (can say do not undo sticker) dont worry its just the holden sealed for life crap, fill it until oil comes out then all good, just use some sealant on thread and do up firm

4.4l to be exact ....

buy 2 x 2.5l containers

.... DO NOT use thread tape
(on screw in fittings in alloy anything.. unless you are wealthy coz you will split the opening)

yes agree use a liquid sealant, i dont like the tape either usually causes more dramas then it fixes

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
V8 and fuel consumption... yeah we’re on the same page Tonner Matt.

Just curious if there is a knock-on effect on fuel consumption of what I perceive to be a heavier weight fluid than ATF.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
V8 and fuel consumption... yeah we’re on the same page Tonner Matt.

Just curious if there is a knock-on effect on fuel consumption of what I perceive to be a heavier weight fluid than ATF.

I see where you are coming from in regards to the weight of the fluids.
I would classify both ATF & Pro gear as light weight free flowing oils, especially when you compare them to an 80w90 or 85w140.
If there was any effect on fuel consumption from the Penrite Pro gear, I reckon it would be so miniscule that you wouldn't notice it anyway.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Wow! Comparing the OEM ATF to the Penrite Pro Gear is like comparing night to day!

I finally got around to dropping the ATF and filling with ProGear. Have only been for a 10 minute spirited test drive after filling. The difference was immediately noticeable.

With the ATF, it felt like you needed to get to know the box and shift at the right RPM, put the gear selector in just the right spot before shifting and use a little gentle persuasion to get a smooth shift. Notchiness was most noticeable when the box was cold and downshifts to 2nd were the most difficult to do smoothly. You could rarely ratchet up the pace and expect the box to shift smoothly all the time.

Now with the ProGear, you can just ratchet up the pace and expect the box to shift smoothly! Like you'd expect a manual box to behave. :)

On a side note:
I jacked up the passenger side only to do the drain and fill. So because of the positioning of the drain and fill plugs, I got just under 4 litres into the box before the filler started to drip. For a 3.5 litre fill, that's technically an overfill. (VFII TR6060 transmission).

Should I get the car level and drop the excess out from the filler? Or should it be ok with a 300-400ml overfill? I noticed the box let off a fair bit of pressurized air when I first opened the fill plug prior to draining (box was hot from a warm-up drive). Wondering if over-pressurization could be an issue for the box/ seals?
It doesn't 'seem' to have any ventilation.

Attachments

• IMG_7479.jpg
    IMG_7479.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Wow! Comparing the OEM ATF to the Penrite Pro Gear is like comparing night to day!

I finally got around to dropping the ATF and filling with ProGear. Have only been for a 10 minute spirited test drive after filling. The difference was immediately noticeable.

With the ATF, it felt like you needed to get to know the box and shift at the right RPM, put the gear selector in just the right spot before shifting and use a little gentle persuasion to get a smooth shift. Notchiness was most noticeable when the box was cold and downshifts to 2nd were the most difficult to do smoothly. You could rarely ratchet up the pace and expect the box to shift smoothly all the time.

Now with the ProGear, you can just ratchet up the pace and expect the box to shift smoothly! Like you'd expect a manual box to behave. :)

On a side note:
I jacked up the passenger side only to do the drain and fill. So because of the positioning of the drain and fill plugs, I got just under 4 litres into the box before the filler started to drip. For a 3.5 litre fill, that's technically an overfill. (VFII TR6060 transmission).

Should I get the car level and drop the excess out from the filler? Or should it be ok with a 300-400ml overfill? I noticed the box let off a fair bit of pressurized air when I first opened the fill plug prior to draining (box was hot from a warm-up drive). Wondering if over-pressurization could be an issue for the box/ seals?
It doesn't 'seem' to have any ventilation.

They are vented, I just looked at my 2nd 2.5l container I have approx. 1.4l left. just jack it up level and remove plug and see if any comes out

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
By my calcs from the bottle level indicators, I'd put 310ml too much Penrite in. So jacked the car to level this morning and dropped out the excess. Only about 100ml dropped from the filler.

Tremec TR6060 PDF states fill capacity is 3.45 litres 'approximately'. I guess they mean it when they say 'approximately'.

I 'approximate' then that my manual trans takes 3.65 litres of the good stuff. :)

Attachments

• Tremec TR6060.JPG
    Tremec TR6060.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 193

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
By my calcs from the bottle level indicators, I'd put 310ml too much Penrite in. So jacked the car to level this morning and dropped out the excess. Only about 100ml dropped from the filler.
Tremec TR6060 PDF states fill capacity is 3.45 litres 'approximately'. I guess they mean it when they say 'approximately'.
I 'approximate' then that my manual trans takes 3.65 litres of the good stuff. :)

Sounds about right. The workshop manual states after refil, to start the car for a minute and then top up. I did this a couple of times and another 100ml or so went in from the initial 3.5ltrs.