Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Performance mods for a VX 3.8 V6

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive, 1998 VT Exec 304 manual, 2007 S
So I've just recently bought a 2000 VX Exec, and in the long run (throughout the next 5-10 years), I'm planning to make it a show car with some performance mods. What would any of you recommend in terms of performance mods to get it up to about 300-350hp? Would an L67 be a better idea to mod on than an aftermarket screw supercharger on the ecotec? The supercharger I've had my eye on is at the bottom half of the page in this link: https://bulletcars.com/superchargers/holden/holden-3-8-litre-ecotec-v6-holden-commodore-vs-to-vy/ but open to suggestions of better superchargers.

Also looking for suggestions in terms of suspension, brakes, exhaust systems, extractors, internal engine parts, transmission (manual, thinking a TREMEC T56) and the best prices I could get them for.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you're going to supercharge it'll be much easier and cheaper to use a centrifugal supercharger.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be better off starting with an L67. Will take a lot of money to put 350hp at the wheels.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Might be better off starting with an L67. Will take a lot of money to put 350hp at the wheels.

That depends if you're happy with stock L67 power or want more. If the answer is more then it's my opinion that the better way to go is a centrifugal supercharger. You can buy L67 pistons off precision cheap and L67 powder metal rods out of the US for $50 a rod. Get a L67 balancer and get a engine shop to balance the crank and flex plate. Then a minor spring upgrade to help running 20psi and 350hp should be easy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fuel system, tuning.....

Stock ecotec fuel system will not go to 350hp, stock MAF system won't go to 350hp.

PD Vs Centrifugal also has interesting comparisons depending on use. PD blower will give almost instant torque off idle, centrifugal needs revs.

No matter what road you take, it's not that cheap or easy. A turbo kit might be another option.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
PD Vs Centrifugal also has interesting comparisons depending on use. PD blower will give almost instant torque off idle, centrifugal needs revs.
Yea PD will be slightly better low down but the difference isn't as great as some would think. Centrifugal is easier to set up and will get higher boost numbers plus the intercooler is simple. A guy at work has a PD L67 with under blower air to air intercooler with a front mount, he's had lots of issues with it plus you're still limited on surface area.
Centrifugal has more benifits that outweigh a PD imo.

Yes a better fuel system will be needed and a tune. There might be some other members that know the best options in that reguard. My ute has a aftermarket ecu and I'm upgrading to a haltec so I don't know much about cheapee options.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Long term if you want to stay v6 tonyz turbo kit or yt whipple kit would be cooler to have.

stock engine with valve springs,e85 & boost...may want a few spare engines if get greedy

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea PD will be slightly better low down but the difference isn't as great as some would think. Centrifugal is easier to set up and will get higher boost numbers plus the intercooler is simple. A guy at work has a PD L67 with under blower air to air intercooler with a front mount, he's had lots of issues with it plus you're still limited on surface area.
Centrifugal has more benifits that outweigh a PD imo.

Yes a better fuel system will be needed and a tune. There might be some other members that know the best options in that reguard. My ute has a aftermarket ecu and I'm upgrading to a haltec so I don't know much about cheapee options.

Tuning the A2A on an L67 can be interesting. Those in the know now go for a A2A/W2A hybrid system and tuning has come a long way. The big issue with the standard A2A with front mount is the very long air path depending on MAF location.

If you were looking for over 200rwkw I'd probably go with a turbo kit as long term it will be easier to increase power as always happens.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Tuning the A2A on an L67 can be interesting. Those in the know now go for a A2A/W2A hybrid system and tuning has come a long way. The big issue with the standard A2A with front mount is the very long air path depending on MAF location.

If you were looking for over 200rwkw I'd probably go with a turbo kit as long term it will be easier to increase power as always happens.

Plus you're not stressing the crank snout.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's not somewhere I'd be worried about unless you went with something like a procharger that puts an extra pulley on in front of the OEM balancer. The stock balancers are a good fit and with a proper key unlike the LS engines.

Even the Raptor uses the stock serpentine belt but those are limited to how much power you can make. Not seeing much from them on the V6 stuff anymore. Nice little blower though if you aren't looking for huge power. I have one sitting on the shelf still waiting to be used.