Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Performance mods for a VX 3.8 V6

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive, 1998 VT Exec 304 manual, 2007 S
Screw will heat the intake charge more and that is nearly impossible to counteract 100%. Screws will be very efficent over a blower style and even a centrifugal when the screw is modern deainged. But the centrifugal will hit higher boost and make more power.

I suggest you watch videos from Richard Holdner on YT as he has comparison data that shows you the power curves. There is no clear winner it's more what you're trying to achive. But Centrifugals are by far the cheapest to setup as you can keep the stock exhaust.

Again Richard Holdner has testing evidence that proves superchargers work with stock exhaust manifolds.
Once you watch enough of his content you realise that you should pick a good N/A setup that younlike then just add boost.... And like I said rhe cheapest boost is a centrifugal charger.
definitely checking him out, thanks mate.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Stock exhaust is going to hold back power. Stock exhaust is good for a stock motor. On a VX at a minimum I would upgrade to a full twin V8 system if you want to make decent power. First upgrade I did on our L67 and it really let it rev better and not choke the motor.

If you are talking about the same guy on youtube I checked out recently he had some interesting and dissapointing results with a L67. The tests I saw weren't very representative of what the L67 can achieve but I think he did mention they had tuning issues.

Yea exhaust is always better.

He works for various magazines and has been testing engines for 30 years and writing articles. He's worked for the motor trend group. The place he does his tests are at westech performance their main line of work is testing mainly for media.

If you watch more of his videos he puts superchargers, nos and turbos on lot's of different engines. Stock and highly modified and they all respond the exact same way to boost it mirrors the curve N/A but just raises it. Also he runs heaps of engines at 15psi and gets a doubling of power from N/A with the curve mirrored.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well yes. Our atmosphere is approx 1 bar (n/a engine), add 15 psi or 1 bar on top of that and now the engine is seeing 2 bar which is roughly double the amount of air....

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive, 1998 VT Exec 304 manual, 2007 S
I'm definitely leaning towards getting a PD Supercharger.