Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Permanently mounting a trickle charger in a VF sedan

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just had an epiphany, I was getting confused between what is female and male (not a new thing for me, especially since I have offspring attending NSW High School).
Now I see from the images that gender is determined by the terminal shape (giver or receiver), not by the outside plastic shroud.
Looking forward to more advice, my searching skills have not found any local supplier yet.
Yes, it’s the terminal type that defines whether the connector is male or female. By not keeping a consistency between terminal and plastic carrier, they make it a bit of a head fcuk for those that don’t work with such things daily…

Wouldn’t surprise me that there is no industry standard as such and each manufacturer does its own thing with the convention which just adds to confusion. Guess a bit like your kids school :oops::p:p:p

PS: @CalaisNQ was the first to link to the Yazaki Connector Catalogue PDF in post#43 of the VF DOC connector thread. Haven’t looked at the PDF as yet but it may define the convention used for the sex of the connector within the first few pages…

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I now just need to get out the slide callipers and confirm the measurements of the x499 connector in my car matches the above female connector…
Had a minute to check the x499 connector in my car and YEP, it has the same dimensions as the YAZAKI connector except the width is margionally narower at 22.6mm (if my eyes are reading correctly) :p

1644212950857.png

The folowing male connector should be the go
1644213122964.png

Now just to ring a local supplier :cool:

Reactions: Lex

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Had a minute to check the x499 connector in my car and YEP, it has the same dimensions as the YAZAKI connector except the width is margionally narower at 22.6mm (if my eyes are reading correctly) :p

Now just to ring a local supplier :cool:
You'll probably need the terminals too. I am sure you are on top of it but just in case :). According to bottom of page they are based on wire size.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found my inline fuse hiding in a cupboard so it will be added to the battery wire “death lead”.. After all, the “death lead” 100A slow blow fuse isn’t the ideal arrangement :p

As for the male 7282-5590-40 connector itself, sadly, I haven’t been able to find any available down under :( Now to look further afield but it’s not going to be easy in quantities of one or two…. See how we go but must admit it ain’t the highest priority as it’s working well with just a spade connector pushed into the female factory connector :cool:

Reactions: Lex