Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pickles auctions

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
The only consolation is that at least they will be cheaper to buy when you go to get another one.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I remember being there one time looking for Commodores and at that time, a near new Silvia S15 200SX was up for auction. All it had wrong with it was a rear smashed window. If I remember rightly, it went dirt cheap for like $18-20K. I'm thinking of making a visit one of these days. I want a V8!!!!

Do you think that I would be able to pull a V8 for around 15K???

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
yeah easy theres a book you can get which has prices that people pay at auction and theres like vt ss's the 5.0L going for like 11k and vt/vx gen III's for around 15k oh and no to mention if they have an oldie they go really cheap i saw a hsv vs senator go for 6k with 150 thousand kms

Premwood

Reaction score
sorry for me to be negative, but we go to the auctions everyweek, and something i have to say, because i have seen alot of people stuffed around because of this:

ONLY BUY FROM FLEET/EX-GOV AUCTIONS

Dont bother buying from the clearing auctions/ as alot of thos cars are trade ins from car yards that they know they wont be able to fix for a good price, its pretty hard to find a decent car in this auction, And definatly dont go into the salvage auctions, as i have seen this happen time and time again,
people see cars going through salvage auctions at "Cheaper" prices, so they buy a car that they think will be easy to repair, thing is that car comes back the next week, you see that person asking all the wreackers for parts, when they find out that how much it costs, they realise its not worth it, as well as that, if the car has been damage, you will get things (Over time) like uneven tyre wear, bad handling ect ect, and if you ever want to sell the car, they have all been flagged by the road authoritys, so you have trouble selling them as well.

So yeah, its best to buy from EX/GOV or FLEET auctions, they have all been seerviced on time (By Holden) and have been looked after

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Cheers thanks for the tips.

I definitely wont be buying anything that needs to be repaired!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
sorry for me to be negative, but we go to the auctions everyweek, and something i have to say, because i have seen alot of people stuffed around because of this:

Dont bother buying from the clearing auctions/ as alot of thos cars are trade ins from car yards that they know they wont be able to fix for a good price, its pretty hard to find a decent car in this auction, And definatly dont go into the salvage auctions, as i have seen this happen time and time again,
people see cars going through salvage auctions at "Cheaper" prices, so they buy a car that they think will be easy to repair, thing is that car comes back the next week, you see that person asking all the wreackers for parts, when they find out that how much it costs, they realise its not worth it, as well as that, if the car has been damage, you will get things (Over time) like uneven tyre wear, bad handling ect ect, and if you ever want to sell the car, they have all been flagged by the road authoritys, so you have trouble selling them as well.

So yeah, its best to buy from EX/GOV or FLEET auctions, they have all been seerviced on time (By Holden) and have been looked after

Very sound advice. Real only applies to the older cars. Cars that are only 3 years old are generally in good nick - ex gov or company cars.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I presume you can't test drive the cars sold at auctions. Do they usually come with some sort of road worthy cert or guarantee? Must be scary starting her up for the first time after you have handed over you money ha ha!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I presume you can't test drive the cars sold at auctions. Do they usually come with some sort of road worthy cert or guarantee? Must be scary starting her up for the first time after you have handed over you money ha ha!

In SA some have an RAA report and you can start the cars up on the inspection days. Take a clip board and make plenty on notes - you just wont remember it all when you get home.

I think the best thing to do is look under the car - look for any heavy hits or fresh black paint. (Go in old clothes) look at wheel angles - does it sit right on the ground - take a camera do some low shots looking at the car and check em out at home on the computer. Any fresh oil around - does the oil on the dip sticks smell burnt (motor n tranny)

Dont forget that the car yards may reduce the cost of a car if they know your going to buy at auction - that is just at the end of the month when sales fig get recorded.:thumbsup:

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks for the tips, going to go to some inspections this weekend and check out some cars. Will make sure to take lots of photos and look for damage underneath!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK

sound advice. i only buy from damaged auctions after i've been told what its worth to fix. Otherwise it would be like buying a car with a blind fold on and fingers in your ears :D