Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
"Value Motors’ expert at the hearing, automotive engineer Karl Pemberton, said piston slap on this type of engine was “extremely common” and there was no evidence of mechanical failure.".....

I think if there was a new model to go to, Holden would have a lot of people like Mr Wilson pushing for the same thing and not only for piston slap.
Could Mr. Pemberton be the prime whiteness at a possible NZed class action against Holden re this extremely common defect :p

Idiots at Holden should have handled this quietly rather than having a uncontested court loss with such silly “extremely common” statements on the record :oops:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Could Mr. Pemberton be the prime whiteness at a possible NZed class action against Holden re this extremely common defect :p

Idiots at Holden should have handled this quietly rather than having a uncontested court loss with such silly “extremely common” statements on the record :oops:
Agree but Holden obviously has no concerns any more in regard to public profile.
It's a zombie brand.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Keeping issues out of public domain and away from potential class action, which could be a very costly affair, is just good economics :p To go to court fighting strong consumer law defines just how dumb and out of touch management seem to be :oops: Seems they can’t even fathom a possible class action will be bad for their bonuses o_O

It’s up there with Nissan’s ineptitude during another aussie court debacle where poor fuel consumption not matching the sales promises resulted in a full purchase price refund :eek: and after the appeal fails, which it must, I think it becomes a precedent :p

It’s simply dumb, dumb, dumb and less about the fact they may not care about their public profile :rolleyes:

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
My car makes so many different types of noises cold or warm I'm not even sure which one is which anymore...

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
After the all the issues with the 1st batch of LS1 engines years ago you’d think they’d have this sorted by now it’s crap really!! What about the earlier LS3 engines that came in the VE HSV’s do they suffer the same issues?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Had mine in for service yesterday. Left it overnight at the dealership service centre so I could take a mechanic for a test drive when it was cold. I was able to produce the sound and the mechanic acknowledged it too. They happened to have a LS3 SSV on their used car lot and took it for a cold start drive. They claim that it also produced a similar sound however they were still willing to take the matter to Holden Engineering. I provided a number of video recordings to the service manager who has forwarded it to Holden Engineering in Melbourne to analyse. Now just waiting for a response.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
After the all the issues with the 1st batch of LS1 engines years ago you’d think they’d have this sorted by now it’s crap really!! What about the earlier LS3 engines that came in the VE HSV’s do they suffer the same issues?

How have the LS1's been from a longevity perspective? I guess that would be a good gauge on if piston slap is detrimental to an engines lifespan.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Had mine in for service yesterday. Left it overnight at the dealership service centre so I could take a mechanic for a test drive when it was cold. I was able to produce the sound and the mechanic acknowledged it too. They happened to have a LS3 SSV on their used car lot and took it for a cold start drive. They claim that it also produced a similar sound however they were still willing to take the matter to Holden Engineering. I provided a number of video recordings to the service manager who has forwarded it to Holden Engineering in Melbourne to analyse. Now just waiting for a response.
Fingers crossed mate !

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
How have the LS1's been from a longevity perspective? I guess that would be a good gauge on if piston slap is detrimental to an engines lifespan.
Look at my old thread. My bores were oval in shape from piston slap after 35000km. Holden's report says it...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just because there are other engines out there doing it it does not make it okay. The majority of Ls3s with correct tollerances dont make the noise...