Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah saw that.

Have you driven one Ron?

Not yet.
Saw many direct comparisons/tests though and although VF is probably more exiting to drive the stinger outperforms it... It's also got much nicer interior than VF (my opinion only)
Reportedly, their customer support is also miles ahead of Holden...not to mention the 7yr factory warranty...

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Not yet.
Saw many direct comparisons/tests though and although VF is probably more exiting to drive the stinger outperforms it... It's also got much nicer interior than VF (my opinion only)
Reportedly, their customer support is also mikes ahead of Holden...not to mention the 7yr factory warranty...

Definately go test drive one. We had a Stinger GT press car for a week. It went like a bat out of hell in a straight line, but didn't come close to the Redline in the Twisties.. the brakes were also not up to par but being a press car, they may have been shagged. Interior does look better then the VF but the feel of the switches felt very cheap in the Stinger. I reckon A to B with stop light drags, the Stinger GT is a really good car.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Definately go test drive one. We had a Stinger GT press car for a week. It went like a bat out of hell in a straight line, but didn't come close to the Redline in the Twisties.. the brakes were also not up to par but being a press car, they may have been shagged. Interior does look better then the VF but the feel of the switches felt very cheap in the Stinger. I reckon A to B with stop light drags, the Stinger GT is a really good car.
Will definitely test drive it.
The reality is that I always had largish rear wheel sedan as my car choice. Commodores fit that brief perfectly.
Now that they are gone it's time to find the next best thing that ticks most of the boxes. It sounds like a good car and I dont have to spend 6 figures to own one...as I would by geting euro equivalent...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...not to mention the 7yr factory warranty...
You might want to check what’s covered as I don’t believe it’s a 7 year bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty. I believe the infotainment unit, if not all other electrics, are only covered for 3 years :oops: so it’s a bit of false or misleading advertising to say 7 year manufacturers warranty o_O

In terms of long warranties, Mitsubishi had a 10 year “driveline” warranty on their evo’s (and i think other cars) going back quite some years. And it wasn’t false of misleading like Kia’s 7 year warranty. Sadly the motoring press has completely forgotten about Mitsubishi previous long warranty and won’t pull up Kia on it’s shenanigans with its broad warranty statements yet limited actual coverage.

Otherwise the stinger is brilliant for what it is though it should have been sold at a cheaper price point ;)

PS: be cautious of second hand yellow examples as Kia had a paint issue and many had complete resprays :eek: so if you like yellow, check it and especially the paint rather well ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
In terms of long warranties, Mitsubishi had a 10 year “driveline” warranty on their evo’s (and i think other cars) going back quite some years.

Yes, our 2007 Outlander had 5 yr bumper to bumper and 10 yr driveline warranty.

We didn't have one claim and only one recall.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I've read a couple of reports that the Stinger's power delivery is like a switch -on or off. Pretty much everything I dislike about turbos. Would be hard on clutches and tyres if the reports are true. Wonder if the clutch has a 7-year warranty...

Stinger styling has really grown on me, though, they look classy in some of the colours I've seen around Bunbury WA. I like the interior too.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Has anyone with Piston Slap had a compression test run? Is there any merit in asking the dealership to perform one to determine if the engine is running ok?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Has anyone with Piston Slap had a compression test run? Is there any merit in asking the dealership to perform one to determine if the engine is running ok?
They would probably charge you though...

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I can confirm the warranty of my wife's new Cerato. It is a 7yr/Unlimited km warranty except as stated by Skylarking, the audio head unit and navigation is a 3 yr warranty. Also the battery has a 2yr warranty. The book doesn't mention anything specific about the rest of the electrics
Hope this helps you decide however check that the Stinger has an identical warranty. It may possibly be different although there is no reference to models in the warranty statement of our handbook.