Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help me

v6theworld

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Hi guys I'm relatively new to this and I've just brought my first car (a VS series 2 commodore 1996) I've done a fair bit of work on her myself. My odometer hasn't worked since I brought it and I was told by a mechanic it is most likely a set of gears that run the odometer, I've replaced them and it still doesn't work. Any help?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi guys I'm relatively new to this and I've just brought my first car (a VS series 2 commodore 1996) I've done a fair bit of work on her myself. My odometer hasn't worked since I brought it and I was told by a mechanic it is most likely a set of gears that run the odometer, I've replaced them and it still doesn't work. Any help?

When I replaced mine they didn't work straight away.

I took the gauge cluster out again and wound it forward a couple of kms and it was good to go.

Also check that there isn't a small piece of cog from the old gear stuck in there.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Not strictly related to your question, but I seem to remember that one of the things that'll snap the plastic gear is hitting the trip reset button while moving.
It's been over a decade since I've done the od gears... Aren't they meant to have some kinda plastic safe grease on them too.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Were your old gears busted ?

Here is a before pic from a VS cluster i did last year.
busted teeth.jpg

v6theworld

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Not strictly related to your question, but I seem to remember that one of the things that'll snap the plastic gear is hitting the trip reset button while moving.
It's been over a decade since I've done the od gears... Aren't they meant to have some kinda plastic safe grease on them too.
Yeah I did put some grease on it.

v6theworld

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
When I replaced mine they didn't work straight away.

I took the gauge cluster out again and wound it forward a couple of kms and it was good to go.

Also check that there isn't a small piece of cog from the old gear stuck in there.
Just pulled her apart again, there wassnt any old teeth lodged so I wound her forward then put her back in, the trip meter worked for a bit then stopped working the odometer didn't work at any point

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Just pulled her apart again, there wassnt any old teeth lodged so I wound her forward then put her back in, the trip meter worked for a bit then stopped working the odometer didn't work at any point

Did you replace the gear or see that it was missing teeth?