Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please HELP!! VX Commodore 2001 Auto V6 All Warning Lights Flashing!!!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I was going to suggest an auto electrician, they are a little more cluey about these things than a mechanic.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
am i missing something ?

other than the check engine light the other ones light up when the car is turned on but not started also what scan stool are you using, OBD2 won't work

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
bypass the starter solenoid with a screw driver and see if it starts... Hold the screw driver so that the 2 terminals make contact while keys in "on " position if it starts let it run for a minute and see if all is good...

Sounds very electrically ecu-y to me what would cause the ecu to no longer communicate.... Maybe an earth came off or snapped or have you checked the power wire on the back of the alternator? Those are prone to frying (lift up rubber cap)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Today the 2nd Mechanic came back and asked me put the Original ECU and BCM back. Then he went back to Fuses and couldn't work out anything and then told me The Problem is with the Earth/Ground wire. I asked him to fix but he said there many Earth Wires and he doesn't know where are they. Finally he suggested me to tow my car to the Auto Electrician or may be sell it.
What do you guys say??

So frustrated:undead:Car
Save this to your computer......
These are the earth locations ( in the PDF below, highlighted in yellow) you could check,
or get your Mechanic to check for you.

FYI. The earth symbols are the ones that look like hair combs.
__l__
\\\\\\
(Increase the picture size to around 150%, you'll see it in better detail).
View attachment VX earth points 2.pdf

Last edited:

ali.mosawi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2001
Thank you every one but I tried every suggestion posted here they didn't work.
I also checked the Earth Wire next to the Airbag Sensor. It looked as good as new.
Then I replaced the Cigerate Lighter Fuse #15 under the Dashboard just to get the OBD working but it didn't work out anything.
I have an ALDL usb with drivers and all, so When I connect my laptop to the OBD port and open the software try to connect.
All it does make a beep sound and The SAFET WARNING sign pops up on the Dashboard lolz an other extra.
I think the ground wire that connects the obd port causing the problem.
Also I found few blogs that are suggesting ABS MODULE replacement because ABS control the ECU.
What I did is to disconnect the wires thats are connected to the ABS MODULE from FUSES or BATTERY. Then turned the ignition on to see if it makes a difference and it did. So now there is No clicking Sound or no sound at all when I disconnected the wires thats are connected to ABS MODULE.
So confusing if anyone of get something out of it please let me know.
1)Should replace the module or
2) check all the ground wire or
3) tow to Auto mechanic (which I don't like to bcoz already have spent a lot :( )

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try unplugging your ABS module
under the bonnet between battery and brake booster
with ignition off, slide lock tab to side and unplug
then try to start car and see if dash shows same errors
the ABS does not control the ECU
the ECU and ABS are all connected on the data line any short on this line will disrupt communications to all modules
serv error means there is a communication failiure
did you have serv error before using laptop on car

ali.mosawi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2001
try unplugging your ABS module
under the bonnet between battery and brake booster
with ignition off, slide lock tab to side and unplug
then try to start car and see if dash shows same errors
the ABS does not control the ECU
the ECU and ABS are all connected on the data line any short on this line will disrupt communications to all modules
serv error means there is a communication failiure
did you have serv error before using laptop on car
I did unplug the ABS module, the only difference I noticed was the clicking sound went away.
so with unplugged ABS module, everything else remained the same, I got Serv Error and warning lights except the clicking sound which I think is coming from the FUSE box next to the Battery.
I had the "serv error" from the first time the cut off till now. plugging or unplugging the laptop or diagnostic scanner is not making at difference at all

ali.mosawi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2001
bypass the starter solenoid with a screw driver and see if it starts... Hold the screw driver so that the 2 terminals make contact while keys in "on " position if it starts let it run for a minute and see if all is good...

Sounds very electrically ecu-y to me what would cause the ecu to no longer communicate.... Maybe an earth came off or snapped or have you checked the power wire on the back of the alternator? Those are prone to frying (lift up rubber cap)

today I tried to start the car from the starter motor just to make sure if it's start from the starter motor but all in vain.
all it does Cranking cranking and just cranking. I tried with the ignition on and off but either way it's the same. The car doesn't start. It is just cranking even if I hold it for 2 minutes or so.

It is the same cranking which was happening when the 2nd mechanic tried to start it from the FUSE box , Next to the battery, it was only cranking when he put some wiring into the FUSE box and then tried to start.

In short: the car doesn't start from the starter motor all it does cranking when Bypass the starter with solenid.

I also check the Voltage thing which is attached at back of the alternator but all fine.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
ok need more info
apart from not starting and the diagnostic plug not working
what other issues
does car lock/unlock with remote
does red mode light stop flashing with key in ignition
do headlights work
does engine still crank with key???? without bypassing relays etc
are original BCM and ECU back in car
leave ABS disconnected for now
if you are feeling bored you could unplug instrument cluster and see if engine starts

so if you try to start engine with key please list what happens
key in - mode light stops flashing
1st notch on key - radio and accessories work
2nd notch on key - dash red warning lights come on
turn key to start - engine cranks but does not start

ali.mosawi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2001
ok need more info
apart from not starting and the diagnostic plug not working
what other issues
does car lock/unlock with remote
does red mode light stop flashing with key in ignition
do headlights work
does engine still crank with key???? without bypassing relays etc
are original BCM and ECU back in car
leave ABS disconnected for now
if you are feeling bored you could unplug instrument cluster and see if engine starts

so if you try to start engine with key please list what happens
key in - mode light stops flashing
1st notch on key - radio and accessories work
2nd notch on key - dash red warning lights come on
turn key to start - engine cranks but does not start

1) The red mode light DOESN'T stop flashing with key in ignition
2) The red radio light STOPS flashing with key in ignition but starts flashing again when the key is out of ignition

The red mode light continuously flashing no matters if I put the key in or out. I also changed the ECU and the BCM (I bought) but the red mode light still flashing. I put back the originals ECU and BCM but still the same it's just flashing.

3) Headlights (HighBeam/Normal/Park) all works ok. Radio works Ok.
4) The engine Doesn't crank with the Key. It just makes a click sound from FUSE BOARD next to the Battery BUT it does crank when ( Bypass the starter motor/ the FUSE board Next to the Batter) Only cranking doesn't start though just cranking.

5) original ECU n BCM ra back in. when ABS is disconnected all I got is an extra ABS warning sign on the dashboard + the click from the FUSE board is longer there with the ABS disconnected.

*key in - mode light stops flashing = NO, It doesn't Stop
*1st notch on key - radio and accessories work = YES, they all work Smooth
*2nd notch on key - dash red warning lights come on = YES, It's always there No matter What I disconnected or Connect. Except when the battery is disconnected :)
*turn key to start - engine cranks but does not start = NO, with the KEY in it doesn't crank. It only cranks with bypass the starter motor or the fuse Board.

Updates:

The 1st Mechanics called me yesterday and ask $200 to fix it. we agreed, he brought an other mechanic him. they tried for about an hour but couldn't start the car.
Then they suggested me that the Immobilizer is not working and asked me sell the car

what do you guys say ? sell or fix it?