Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plenum advice. 132K+ odo.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Here's a pic of the bottom half of the plenum, already cleaned the top half.

Any advice , if i should clean the bottom half or just leave it as it is??

if it should be cleaned, should i run the engine dry of fuel? or should it be okay?? replace injector o-rings??

maybe some advice on it's current status of it, just by looking at it??

imag0081eb.jpg

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
If the car's running good and your injector seals are OK now then I'd leave it alone.

Current status? Looks perfectly normal.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
well if you already have the thing apart i would give it a good clean. theres a "how to" thread on here for that. I would also check the PCV while you'll at it.

Robb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
if it should be cleaned, should i run the engine dry of fuel? or should it be okay?? replace injector o-rings??

Why would you need to run the engine dry of fuel?
MrVX, it looks like he has not taken the upper intake manifold off yet, just the top of the plenum.
It does not take long to take off the upper intake manifold and give it a good clean out, only thing it could do is good, while you are at it might as well take off the lower intake manifold and give it a good clean too lol.

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
He's got two options.

(1) Clean it on the car. He wont have to disturb injector's seals or disconnect the fuel lines, but can risk the gritty crud and solvents running down intakes into engine.
Not much good for the motor. Probably best to do an oil change then.

(2) or...Pull it off and clean. New seals for injectors required. Will have to release fuel pressure by taking fuel pump relay out starting engine and running until it dies.
Disconnect battery. Disconnect fuel lines at firewall. Risk damaging gaskets.

Honestly.......cleaning it really won't make one bit of difference to the way it runs. Cleaning the throttle body might though.
And you can check your PCV valve with a 20mm square of newspaper sitting over the dipstick hole while the engines running.
If there's enough vaccuum (it's only a very slight vaccuum)... just enough to hold it on ...it's working fine.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Thanks allot for the advice people, very much appreciated!

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Thats disgusting lol… Pull it off and give it a good clean in petrol… If you dont want to disturb the injector seals just unbolt the fuel rails and leave them in place… You should deff pull that off and clean it right up aswell as your TB and plenum cover… DO NOT clean it on the car pull it off

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Honestly.......cleaning it really won't make one bit of difference to the way it runs.

i call bullshit lol,

seriously ive cleaned heaps in the past and its made a world of difference, its not supposed to be there (yes i know all of them are like this) so rip it off and clean it, makes heaps of difference in drivability and even helps with fuel, make sure throttle bodys clean aswell

also i put on a plenum that i slightly smothed out on teh inside where the runners are, i could tell the difference, not heaps or anything really to brag about but it was noticeable, so cleaing all that **** off will make a difference

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
when i did mine on the old vy s ute, i put rags in the holes, and just smashed throttle body cleaner onto the plenum, let it soak for a few mins, and then just wire brushed it, or scraped cant remember, came up spotless and while i didn't notice much in the way of response i felt as though it was running better, but that can all be in the mind!