Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
do you have dimensions for the little enclosure for the poddy ,
mines lacking it
has an aluminium pipe with heat shield on the underside
but i need an enclosure
any help ?

Hey all, today I did what I said I would never do. I fitted a poddy.

026.jpg

But Im happy with it, Im not completely finished though. I plan to make and floor and cover over it to try and stop that horse power robbing heat entering the engine. Also it does sound quite good.

build cost: $25
build time: 1/2 - 1 hour

One question is the temp sensor fine how it is?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
YEh could if you want. I was lucky enough to have access to a press to fold the aluminium nicly. I might have a go at finishing it today. I will post some more pics and dimentions then.

What I might suggest for you is make up a card board one (mock up ) and take it in to a sheet metal shop. The hole a cut out for the pod to fit through I crudly made with a Jig saw, I diddnt even use a metal tip! but luck nobody can really see back there and a run over it with the file goes a long way.

Classy power wire install.

Haha I know right, it looks better in side though. That where I put in my effort lol the wiring for the fog light is shabby looking too, but all connection are heat shrunk and soldered and I use fuses!

WD-40 i believe works well. Apparently the dust doesnt stick to it. Cant remember what it was to be exact but i use to do it in my engine bay when i gave a damn about it.

Cheers for the tip mate, it also might help stop the aluminum stop oxidising.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
WD-40 makes dust stick very bad and so does tire shine etc.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Okay i did some more work on it and TADAA!

009.jpg

Sorry i diddnt make take down any dimentions, I didnt use a ruler once in the whole build. Just use a marker pen and a door trim off a HR holden wagon as a straight edge. Just take your time and use a little common sense.

here is some more pics.

007.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

I mounted it with the original box rubber mounts ( it was fun marking the holes for this ). I got some more plans for it to tidy up the piping, but I with do that when a build up a short ram.

cheers.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
did this give you any difference in driveability like better low range torque or mid range etc??? iv always wanted to make one of these but didnt wanna go through the effort and make my car worst lol

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yes a small increase, but above anything else it sounds great. The intake note has this really cool whistle and an awesome roar. I popped the bonnent after a drive and the pod and box were cool as, so its a great sucess. before a finished the box the pod was getting rather hot.
Next is to relocate the MAF and change the tubing to something smooth with no corrugations. The ECU is still programming itself after I disconnected the battery to do the o2 earthing mod ( i did this at the same time ), so after a tank full I can exspect some more in the seat and less out of the pocket with the fuel saving benifits but to be honest I think thats all smoke and mirrors lol

EDIT: with just factory or minor mods the orignal air doesnt restrict flow, but getting cold air is an advantage.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
WD-40 i believe works well. Apparently the dust doesnt stick to it. Cant remember what it was to be exact but i use to do it in my engine bay when i gave a damn about it.

are you serious :/ couldnt think of anything worse to put on.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
I was thinking if trying to extend the wire of the maf and i was gonna buy some intercooler piping then route it down just behind the front guard where the opening is and connect the maf sensor and pod filter down there? do you think that would work out?? because it would have direct cold air flow.. im buying the plenum and manifold spacers from mace and i think it would work well with these. also whats the o2 earth mod???

Just not 100% sure whether it would be worth relocateing maf sensor cause i think it just reads air flow not air temp not sure tho correct me if im wrong