Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Relocating the MAF sensor closer to the TB ( supposedly ) make better throttle response I am yet to try this.

I kinda tried what you suggested but there isnt enough room unless you go under the radiator, enough cool air get between the bonnet and around the head light. That is why there is a lot of after market stuff like that ( getting air passing under the bonnent).

For ducting Im just going to be a cheapskate and buy sone PCV bends and some reinforce rubber tubing lol and paint it.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
yeh but i was gonna do the whole cutting the hole in body where the airbox sits... (like when they turbo ecotecs and run the piping there) because if it didnt work i could just weld another plate back in there anyway since i have a welder.. lol this may sound realy stupid but i was gonna get a whole intercooler and then on the right side instead of having piping there i was just gonna connect a pod filter there direct to the intercooler and piping on the other side routed to the intake that way it may get sucked through the intercooler and chilled that way but yeh just thinking of different ways of cai instead of the basic radiator one... if that makes any sense

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
looks good mate , may get some cardboard and some aluminium sheet tomorrow , maybe checkerplate for the top

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Nah not unless you go forced induction mate, I agree your idea is out there but we all love to dream! Peopleput inter coolers on when they have turbos or super charges because these heat the air, quite hot actually. so with N/a all you will get is a small amount of cooling if any and more restriction, Just sit a bag of ice on ya plenum mate :rofl2:! would look neat though.

But cutting a hole in your body? well its up you mate, its your car. I my opion you wont get any better cooling down there though. Here is a theory that backs up the air box design. Moving air is low pressure so one would think having your intake somewhere where the air isnt rushing around would be higher pressure (more dense) so thats my opion anyway. If you do be sure to show us how it looks!

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
looks good mate , may get some cardboard and some aluminium sheet tomorrow , maybe checkerplate for the top

Oooo checker plate nice touch. I found it was quite easy to cut with the Jig saw. 1.5mm -2mm is fine. Thinner would be better but I find it trys to bend ad warp when your working it. If you havent got access to a press a vice will do. Use a piece of 2x4 to fold the alloy more evanly, rather than beat it with a hammer like cave dweller.

also note post 14, Picture 3. I had to accomadate for the wheel well. good luck!

PS with the temp sender just gentally work the tabs with the small screw driver, then push them back down and re use it to fix it to the box, happy hunting.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah not unless you go forced induction mate, I agree your idea is out there but we all love to dream! Peopleput inter coolers on when they have turbos or super charges because these heat the air, quite hot actually. so with N/a all you will get is a small amount of cooling if any and more restriction, Just sit a bag of ice on ya plenum mate :rofl2:! would look neat though.

But cutting a hole in your body? well its up you mate, its your car. I my opion you wont get any better cooling down there though. Here is a theory that backs up the air box design. Moving air is low pressure so one would think having your intake somewhere where the air isnt rushing around would be higher pressure (more dense) so thats my opion anyway. If you do be sure to show us how it looks!

yeh either that or just have a non funtion intercooler just to tidy up the front end give it a bit better look.... i love intercoolers on the front of vr/vs models i think it looks sweet.. i thought of that idea cause thought well i might as well make the cooler functional lol... i thought it wouldnt work at the same time cause of restriction from the sleeves... but yeh idk just thought it would be different. but anyways might just stick with the whole making the box setup but with intercooler piping instead of standard black rubber stuff.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yeh that would look really good espeically if you use the blue connections etc. Beside with the intercooler plumbed in you will lose the intake roar!

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
helpful info jonah 101 thanks , had a look at the engine bay 20 minutes ago and it seems so small...like barely any room for the poddy, its like 5 inches wide (its big)
gotta get some pipe cause mine is just to short

creastyle

Reaction score
its like 5 inches wide (its big) gotta get some pipe cause mine is just to short

LMAO.........Thats what she said

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh that would look really good espeically if you use the blue connections etc. Beside with the intercooler plumbed in you will lose the intake roar!

what kinda material would be best to polish the airbox up (alloy,steel etc)?? i think it would look pretty sick if i have a polished airbox and polished piping with the intercooler blue connections and a polished plenum and non function cooler hanging down the front guard to fill that hole... i think it would be a nice looking setup il let you know how it goes when i figure out what road im gonna take lol.. will deff post pics also.