Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

POD Overrated

Z

Z()LTAN

Ok people, for all those who are using PODs or if u are thinking of getting a pod read this.
Ive said it so many times now so i thought id post it here and see how it goes.
Ok

The whole idea of the POD is faulty, sure it will enable u to suck in alot more air but, its all hot air isnt it, the hot air under a bonet is like 80% less dence than the air outside, so even if u suck in like 40% more air with a POD than u do with a norm airbox/highflow pad filter/cai ur still not actually sucking in a higher percentage of oxygen. Now oxygen is what makes or breaks ur perfomance, hoter air = less dense, cold air = more dense, so therefore the colder the air u can get into the engine the more oxygen it will carry with it thus making a more powerful power stroke. I believe and so do many other engineeres ive spoken to that in a realtime (non dyno) use of ur car a cai/airbox/k&n filter arangement will far surpass the use of a pod.

Dyno testing with a pod will work best because of the fact its not moving and can still suck lots of air, whereas the cai setup needs air rushing to make it work (air ram effect), now u may say "hey they use a fan dont they in these dyno tests?" well yes they do but thats soley for the radiator, makes no diff for air intake, thats y u see pods making a better benchmark.

Yes the current pods are far better at drawing air than the cai setups but that meens nothing if its drawing a lesser percentage of oxygen.

Take my words as u will, im not critisising anyone using a POD setup, just think twice about it :)

Z

Z()LTAN

oh and im an engineer so i can get my facts right but i dont care bout spellin :)

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
What is needed is for someone to test intake air temperatures on the fly with a pod. cai etc & compare results. This way the different cai methods can be compared against each other as well.

Z

Z()LTAN

i have done that :) my cai gets around 22-19 deg air temp
whereas the pod in my mates stays around 48-32
i think the reason that the cai shows shuch a lower temp coz the air is movin faster

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
where abuts did you take the temp reading from???

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Airspeed should be the same in the manifold so I cant see that being the main reason for the temp difference.What was the outside temp when you did this???

Z

Z()LTAN

not in the mas, just b4 the mas, airflow is diff as ramair effect, my cai setup temps rose after letting it idal