Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polishing the SS

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Get rid of your chamois because it’s all but guaranteed to scratch your paint.
Just use a damp microfibre towel/cloth at a minimum and use a spray wax if that’s not working so good.

If I haven’t driven my car and it’s covered in dust from sitting in the carport I just hose it off very thoroughly, spray wax and dry with a microfibre cloth and it looks a million bucks.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I gave my alto grey 've a bit of a spruce up last week . I used a claybar followed by Autoglym super resin polish then Maguire carnuba was then Maguire fast finish which really brings out the shine and is so easy to use. Done the same to the wife's car which is black and the Maguire fast finish really makes it shine.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
What about the nowash products? Pretty much spray polishes such as this

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I gave my alto grey 've a bit of a spruce up last week . I used a claybar followed by Autoglym super resin polish then Maguire carnuba was then Maguire fast finish which really brings out the shine and is so easy to use. Done the same to the wife's car which is black and the Maguire fast finish really makes it shine.

Good quality carnauba wax is solid not liquid, sounds like Meguiars and probably some of the other cheaper brands is trading on the name carnauba by adding just a small percentage to their product.

The higher the percentage and the more pure it is the better the wax.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
My car is coated with a ceramic coating and it is more work to maintain over a wax or sealant. If you aren't into correct washing and drying procedures then a coating isn't for you. A wax isn't going to last long at all regardless of quality in my experience. I recommend a spray sealant like CarPro Reload or NOVA JET, they will last longer than a Wax and are much easier to apply :) Check out https://www.waxit.com.au/ they have heaps of quality products and videos to help out.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My car is coated with a ceramic coating and it is more work to maintain over a wax or sealant

How so? Mine is opticoated and it's simple to maintain. Two bucket washing and annual inspection/top up where required and that's about it. Waxes and sealants need to be reapplied every few months whereas a ceramic coating certainly doesn't. The cost of the annual inspection ($185) is more than offset by not having to buy polishes/waxes/sealants etc either

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Our 2.5yo phantom ute had Opticoat and the 1.5yo LMF wagon had Modesta...only because I heard good things about both so thought I would try both. The Modesta guy didn’t push for annual inspections and gave tips on how to care for the paintwork. The lady at Opticoat mentioned the annual inspection but certainly didn’t overly push it - what she did say was that some customers return after 12months and are disappointed that the paintwork is not as shiny..she says most of these cases need little more than a proper clay barring and the shine is back.

Both companies were very upfront about their coatings not being scratch proof and the need to still care for the paintwork...2 bucket method, microfibre cloths etc. I dare say those with plenty of $$ don’t necessarily care that much for cleaning in between & just go back every year or two and get a full professional detail (not just the annual inspection). If the companies were closer and open on week-ends I would seriously consider the $185 annual inspection but with regular careful cleaning in between I am very happy with the paintwork on both vehicles.

rog vi ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss 2006 sedan 6lt 6 speed manual sedan
We have a 2017 ss sedan and its black

Can hose it off all day everyday but the shine is dimming and it needs a polish

However unlike our VY that you can cut n polish or slop that orange bottle of polish on it, it get the feeling that the 2017 paint work requires something different or a more advanced polish?

Could someone recommend whats best for the VF... we dont have a buffer, we'll only probably use chammy etc

Some nob head recommended mr sheen omg.
I am half way through polishing my VE SS.
I used a very mild cutting compound polish.
The finish is so smooth and shiny.
Depth of colour 30% richer.
Takes out small scratches too.
Could do it by hand but a taxing job on the arms.
Buy a cheap electric orbital polisher you wont be sorry.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’ve had ceramic coatings on a few cars but I always kept going back to wax which these days is the only coating I use.

Both wax and ceramics have good and bad points and I understand why people choose the side of the fence that they do when it comes to their preferred coating and I don't have an argument with those that take the ceramic route.

But as I said I’m a wax man and it has to be a good quality hard carnauba wax and even though it may need to be reapplied several times a year on a daily and once every 10 years on a garage queen, I do love the classic soft lush finish wax provides over the stark optical perfect ceramic coats and for me that alone is worth the extra effort.

Plus with good quality washing products and careful washing techniques the wax will stay good for much longer.

This is my E Series & BMW and an old Ute I used to own that I polished with a machine using Menzerna and coated using DODO Juice Supernatural by spreading two thin layers over the paintwork with just my bare fingertips then buffing off between layers.

They have a walk-in type of finish that only wax can give.

E Series R8 a.jpg

E Series R8 b.jpg

135i Coupe a.jpg

135i Coupe b.jpg

VE SSV Ute a.jpg

VE SSV Ute b.jpg

rog vi ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss 2006 sedan 6lt 6 speed manual sedan
1. Throw that chammy (and I presume a sponge to wash) away and get yourself a microfibre wash mit and drying towel. Sponges and chammys will marr the paint.

2. As @Voodoo_SV6 says, there is more to it than a "cut and polish".

3. You don't necessarily need a buff. You can do it by hand with the correct applicator pads and buffing cloths which is how I do mine.

4. I would only use cutting copound if the paint is severely detriorated / oxidised. I wouldn't expect this to be the case with a 2017 car.

5. I would be inclined to clay bar, polish and seal/wax. Once you've washed the car, clay bar, tape up alll areas that aren't painted, i.e. plastic trims, badges etc, polish then seal/wax.

6. Allow up to 6 or 7 hurs if doing tis by hand and have cold beers n the fridge so you can sit back and admise your work with a coldie at the end of the day.

I only clayed and waxed mine a few months ago as I didn't consider it needed a polish. Check my ride thread below for some pics if your interested.

Also, +1 for Meguiars.
Nice photos,nice cars, nice background.
But most of all nice SHINE !
Cant send photo,will try later.