Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Popped interior light fuse

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey all

The other night my interior lights stopped working. The fuse was blown so I grabbed a new one from Repco and chucked it in. It popped instantly. I'm thinking there's a short somewhere but where? There's no short at the bulb.

Cheers for the help

aussiebluVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr commodore
When ever you change a fuse disconnect the battery because if the battery is still connected a sudden surge of power will automatically blow the fuse hope this helps

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Good plan. Yeah the door was open so the light would have been trying to go too. Hopefully there isn't a problem with the wiring somewhere in the car

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
When ever you change a fuse disconnect the battery because if the battery is still connected a sudden surge of power will automatically blow the fuse hope this helps
Or in the case of the interior lights, just turn them off :p

That said, i blew the interior light fuse in my car (was working in the boot, took out the boot bulb to prevent the battery going flat, ended up shorting it out in the process lol). When i put the new one in i still had all the interior lights going (6 globes in the berlina), it didn't blow ;).

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

lol where did ya get that information? the only reason the fuse blows straight away is because of a dead short in the wiring. i have replaced plenty of fuses eg, highbeam fuse with the lights turned on and have never blown a fuse from a so called surge of power.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's what I was afraid off. Hmmm now I've gotta find this short.

Any tips?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Check your boot, glovebox globes, too. If the boot light has come loose it can short on the body. Failing any of that, good luck finding a short!

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
I would check boot light first. Have you just changed or removed the boot light? If the light fitting has not been installed properly, or the metal holders of the festoon are bent slightly from putting in an LED globe or something similar (and now touching the metal body), well this could be the culprit. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers for the help so far all. Ill keep you posted.

Pulled the boot light out leaving wires hanging down and tried again, still pops the fuse. Gunna have to wait til the weekend to look at it. Can't be bothered working in the dark after work. Glovebox lights never gone so there could be a short there...

I'm wondering whether maybe a wire on the parcel tray got nicked when I dynamatted it.... Hope not but failing it being at a bulb I'll check