Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible blown head gasket..HELP!!!!!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Did thermostat a week ago and i know ot workin as it was tested before putting it in.....how do i test for radiator blockage

radiator place they can do a flow test on it but confirm everything else that has been suggested 1st.

D

devilly

from my understanding,blown head gasket has certain things that happen.loss of power,smoke from exhaust and oil in coolant and coolant in oil.just check dipstick see if brown or white.check radiator cap see if brown oil is on the rubber,or floating.

radiator blockage to my understanding means you go for a 15 min drive and turn off car and check if the radiator bottom and top are the same temp. not the hoses,be-careful when doing this tho,or take it for a shop and have it tested.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Easiest way to check the radiator is to drain it, remove both hoses and then shove the garden hose in the top, turn it on and see what comes out the bottom.......

If it's not flowing to well then remove the radiator from the vehicle, turn upside down and shove the garden hose in what is normally the outlet and turn it on to reverse flush the radiator.

rick_james

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks everyone for your help....flushed and re bled cooling system seems to run fine nkw....think it was a massive air lock