Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Gearbox Issue (Autoproblemmatic)

Allgoodnamestaken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Commodore
Hey guys,

On my VT, i notice when going down the gears from D to 3 than 2 the second gear makes a metallic ting sound like lightly tapping two pipes together.

Could this be due to overdue transmission service? I have owned it for near two years. If anything i never tow a trailer so never use the low gears. I'm leaning more towards pull apart and service.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
i'd be checking the center bearing and uni joints on the tailshaft first before tearing into the gearbox.

Most of the metallic pinging ive found is one of those or possibly something hitting the exhaust as the IRS squats under load.

Allgoodnamestaken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Commodore
I have had the center bearing and uni joints looked at, the center bearing was strong as a mofo and the back and front uni's were running sweet. also i forgot to add when under load reversing it likes to shutter a little bit like driving a manual and near stalling.

sidferg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
I know its not auto related, but my vy v6 5spd manual will not go into 5th gear. It goes into the other gears fine but won't go into 5th unless I really force it. My clutch is a heavy duty one with plenty of life in it. The ute has done 226,000 kms Any help would be greatly appreciated... Hopefully I don't need to look for a new gearbox!