Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible lifter rattle

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has experienced what sounds like a noisy lifter on the 2014 VF SSV Redline ( Auto AFM )
Mine has clocked 33000KM now and I have noticed a ticking noise only when the motor is warm on the passenger side of motor.
I tested with a stone cold motor on startup and after 10mins idle noticed only a faint ticking noise, then went for a quick drive and it was quite noticeable.
Car was just recently serviced at a different holden dealer from before, and cant say I noticed it before.
Just wondering if maybe oil viscosity could be different as it seems quiet when cold.
Anyway looks like a trip to my holden dealer for a listen :hmmm:

I will almost guarantee you that the wrong grade of oil has been used in the car on the recent change based on that experience. You can no longer trust all dealers to use the correct oils. I now always supply the oil for dealer services so I know what is going in. I do my own oil changes in between dealer services.

I would not stuff around but get the oil out and change the filter and get the correct 5w-30 Dexos 1 oil (use a fully synthetic) in there before any possible damage is done.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
It amazed me that an "Official" Holden dealer workshop doesn't follow the Holden handbook to use the correct engine oil. The sticker on the windscreen of my brand new ute is Castrol, just hope it doesn't mean that they are using it. I shall ask them when my ute is due for its first schedule service.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
It amazed me that an "Official" Holden dealer workshop doesn't follow the Holden handbook to use the correct engine oil. The sticker on the windscreen of my brand new ute is Castrol, just hope it doesn't mean that they are using it. I shall ask them when my ute is due for its first schedule service.

I think Castrol Professional Magnatec 5w-30 is the default dealer oil. After running mine in with mineral, I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30. At my dealer I always wait during the service and they have to go to the HSV section to get it. I watch to make sure :)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997

Just email the service department of the dealer where you go for service or the selling dealer and ask them to give you the brand and oil spec they are using in the VFs for book services.

When I did this a few years back they came back with a list of incorrect oils. None of them were the GM spec.

A year later I had an argument with the Service Department of the same large Sydney dealer who tried to tell me that it was Ok to use 10w-30 oil in my car (and that is what they would likely use) when GM specifies only 5w-30 Dexos 1. On that visit and following that discussion I told them I had brought my own oil along and that is what they were to use because it was the correct product. When I asked them to show me the official statement from GM that a 10w-30 oil could be used in the engine of my car they could not produce it because they were sprouting complete BS and think owners have no idea.

For the later VEs and the VFs GM specifies 5w-30 Dexos 1 (which are definitely not cheap oils , especially the fully synthetic versions which are the ones to use). So only use what your owner's manual specifies and if you are concerned the dealer may be using another product in your car, buy the oil and supply it to them and insist they only use that for the oil change when you take your car in for the book services.

Most people have no idea what oil is going in their engines and just assume the correct product is being used. With capped price servicing the dealers get the same cash from the customer and a standard top up payment from GM for each service so if they use a cheap oil in your car it is all extra profit margin for them. Not all dealers are doing the wrong thing but there have been enough reports on JC here that clearly show that some of them are or have been.

The list of approved 5w-30 Dexos 1 oils is here............
http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Well just an update
Car went in to local dealer yesterday for a listen to engine and I requested oil and filter change.
They use Havo fully synthetic 5w - 30 which was around $100 discounted.
They failed to find anything abnormal with engine noise - no surprise I suppose ;-)
To be fair I need to give the engine a good run as the noise is still there but not as loud.
Also emailed the other dealer that did the 30000km service about what oil went in car but no reply.
Local dealer did say he thought $60 the other dealer charged for oil was cheap and they couldn't get near that price for a synthetic oil.
Anyway we will see - I will update after my 600km trip to work and back ;-)

R1bloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline Ute
Talking about a ticking noise on VF redline auto. I have only done 2000 km and I get a ticking the first time I put it into drive or reverse after starting it and it goes away after a few seconds. If I go back to park or neutral and try again it goes away a bit quicker.

Is this likely to be the same or something different to this thread.

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
R1bloke - mine is quiet on cold start at idle and after a good 10mins can hear it start to rattle only on the passenger side - after driving the car its there all the time until car is cold again. ( And dosen't matter if its in Drive or Reverse )
Its similar to this from another thread
P1000256.mp4 Video by Olddog750 | Photobucket
cheers
Paul

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Well clocked 1000km now since the oil change and the engine seems quieter but ticking was still there when warm.
I drove the car in sports mode for a while the other day and gave it some hard acceleration at higher revs and noticed the tick is now on drivers side and passenger side appears ok.
WTF - very odd anyway I have taken a couple of videos - one is from cold start and the other when motor is at operating temperature
Car has xforce headers and catback in 2.5" - VCM intake and tune.

https://youtu.be/awHebS2UIZE

https://youtu.be/q3udbZ_vSgE

VFCV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Talking about a ticking noise on VF redline auto. I have only done 2000 km and I get a ticking the first time I put it into drive or reverse after starting it and it goes away after a few seconds. If I go back to park or neutral and try again it goes away a bit quicker.

Is this likely to be the same or something different to this thread.

Hi there !

Recently purchased a Calais V and guess what ?

Exactly the same issue. Cold start - idle no noise.
Light load as driving up my street - maybe 600 to 1200 rpm and ticking noise.
Goes away after about 30 to 60 seconds.
Not a sound after that - but every morning the same thing.
Car now has 1800km's on it and I noticed it at around 1500km's.
It's going in for a check but i'll guarantee they tell me they either can't hear it or it's normal.
It'll have to stay the night as it only does it from a cold start and clears up after 30 seconds anyway.
It did not do this prior to 1500km's.
It's certainly not as loud as the the videos linked above but i bet it gets worse.

It's lifter noise ?. Maybe one lifter drains out over night and takes a while to prime again.

Last edited: