Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible lifter rattle

VFCV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Well - left the car overnight at the dealer for a cold start the next morning. Went there at 07: 30 am (7 degrees outside) and cold started with two techs - one in the passenger seat and one outside next the engine with the hood up. Started the car and let the revs drop to 500 rpm (90 seconds or so) and then while stationary slipped it into drive with the brakes on and raised the rpm to around 800.

Clack Clack Clack ........

Both techs acknowledged the noise and advised me to leave it there until the service manager comes in for a listen (it's no good listening when it's already warmed and quiet though !).

Got a call that afternoon and they wanted to keep the car for another night and cold start it again next morning followed by a test drive.

Following after noon (day 3) i get a call stating that:

They are gonna do a scan test and a test drive.

I asked: Why do a scan and why test drive it when it's not cold ?
No real reply !

Later on i get a call saying:

Noise is normal !
"These alloy blocks amplify normal noises"

Apparently they compared it to another v8 on the lot with similar miles on it and it makes a similar noise when cold started. Similar ?
So i ask what makes the noise if it's normal then ?
No real reply - i would imagine that i would be told "What makes the noise is this or that etc." but nothing really.

Anyhow i get the impression that they just wear you down and make it difficult.

When I picked the car up it had only 1km more on the clock than when i dropped it off - however they had "Test Driven" it.

Got them to write a report which pretty much says what i have already - except they finally attributed it to lifter noise on cold start up.
Lucky for me they have "Opened a case" with Holden Customer Care (Sarcasm).

At least it's now all documented and i have 3 years (minus a few months) of warranty left.

Just a thought too:

When i was test driving prior to purchase i think a drove 3 including this one.

Each one was started by the salesman, backed out, driven out of the yard with me in the passenger seat and once warmed up we swapped over.

Call me a cynic - but just maybe they are all like this and after owning for a while you start to notice what you may have not before ?

I'll, be keeping a close eye on things from now on just to make sure this normal noise does not get any worse.

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
My 2014 ssv wagon has had a rattle noise from the drivers side of the engine under acceleration only, since day 1. Everyone has told me it's normal, the dealers, people on this forum, other vf v8 owners, but not one single person has been able to tell me what the noise is or where it is coming from. They all guess what it could be, but don't worry, it's normal. My 95 vs ss never made a rattle, so how can a rattle from an engine on a car 20 years later be normal?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
For what its worth -

Do the V8 engines have a EVAP solenoid/valve in the return line from the charcoal canister back to the inlet manifold, as the V6 alloytec has?

The valve makes a clicking noise after about a minute or so after a cold start. It is usually not present when cold.

Maybe that is another source of clicking and not lifters.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
R1bloke - mine is quiet on cold start at idle and after a good 10mins can hear it start to rattle only on the passenger side - after driving the car its there all the time until car is cold again. ( And dosen't matter if its in Drive or Reverse )
Its similar to this from another thread
P1000256.mp4 Video by Olddog750 | Photobucket
cheers
Paul

That honestly sound like piston slap to me. I compared it to my video regarding piston slap, the sound is very similar.

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute

Uchū Kaizoku

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Arcadia
These are the you tube vids I posted at start of this thread of the noise mine makes

https://youtu.be/awHebS2UIZE

https://youtu.be/q3udbZ_vSgE

The problem sounds like aeration causing a lazy lifter on 6 but jumps around other deac lifters like you say. I had same issue under warranty using 'good' Havoline synth from the dealer. FWIW you can demonstrate this NVH symptom will disappear completely with a different oil, same spec. I use Penrite GF-5, covers all the bases, made in Australia, family owned.

The bastard thing is the noise you hear is typical, but shouldn't be. Although related via the cause of the symptom you are reporting, that noise is lifter but quite different to the common chirp of the LS catastrophic cam face / lifter roller wear issue (I have plenty of facts about that, but off topic).

So sticking to the complaint report, on the noise front the service guy is correct, it's typical. However don't leave it at that because it is a clear indicator to a problem with the lubrication system. Yes crap lubrication is insidious, left unchecked it will definitely cause major damage, particularly to surfaces with high frictional torque ie cam face, lifter rollers.

You will need to arrange a dongle for the diagnostics port in order to log the oil pressure vs coolant temp vs rpm for your own benefit, and for creating documentation toward a more technical dialogue for a remedial claim. Observe the pressure spikes / pulsations at steady rpm and note the operating conditions under which the noise begins and / or is at it's worst.

This takes the guesswork out of the 'hearing' equation with replicable, quantitative evidence in mechanical terms the service guy can respond to. If your car is an auto (assuming stock tune) then triggering AFM mode dumps the bubbles and clears the deac chamber while running, so in addition make notes about the noise sitting idle at operating temperature having cycled AFM as well.

BTW there are a couple of claims processors on this forum, buggered why they only chime in to pontificate about about sales stock...

The cause is degradation of lubrication quality (using approved oil and filter) to the point where telltale NVH symptoms in the valvetrain can be observed, and with reasonable diagnostic inspection through the on board port, pressure irregularities can be logged and provided.

It is likely an incorrectly fitting o-ring somewhere, there are threads which go into such detail but point out the irregularities to dealer service manager / Holden while unopened and covered under warranty.

If out of warranty then simply use decent fricken oil with ZDDP that isn't so fickle and doesn't froth, bubble and deteriorate at times that it should lubricate and protect.

Last edited:

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
The problem sounds like aeration causing a lazy lifter on 6 but jumps around other deac lifters like you say. I had same issue under warranty using 'good' Havoline synth from the dealer. FWIW you can demonstrate this NVH symptom will disappear completely with a different oil, same spec. I use Penrite GF-5, covers all the bases, made in Australia, family owned.

If out of warranty then simply use decent fricken oil with ZDDP that isn't so fickle and doesn't froth, bubble and deteriorate at times that it should lubricate and protect.

I don't have this issue and run Mobil 1 in my VF 6.0 and E85. You say to use the GF-5 with is Dexos approved. Two questions, in your opinion is it better than Mobil 1 and as it is Dexos approved I should be able to use it under warranty right?

Bob

Uchū Kaizoku

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Arcadia
I don't have this issue and run Mobil 1 in my VF 6.0 and E85. You say to use the GF-5 with is Dexos approved. Two questions, in your opinion is it better than Mobil 1 and as it is Dexos approved I should be able to use it under warranty right?

Last time I used Mobil 1 was 1985, and it was cutting edge at the time, mainly for me because when it slid past the rings and burned out the exhaust there was no blue smoke. Product under that moniker has changed a lot for better and worse since then, I prefer the Aussie high tech stuff from Penrite. Now the Mobil 1 5w30 is also GF-5 so I don't think there is really much in it vs Penrite Enviro GF-5. Yes you can use both under warranty, local product is cheaper.

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Thanks for the Info Uchu
being old school I thought I would try 10W - 60 edge - it masks the noise a bit but still there.
If I keep the car I may put a mild cam and DOD delete kit in and have it re-tuned down the track.
Next service is due soon so I guess the dealer will put 5w - 30 back in - I may try the penrite GF-5 though ;-)