Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Speeding fine. Is it worth fighting?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
My speedo reads 5% over verified by GPS. It says 42km/h when really 40km/h, 63km/h when really 60km/h, 84km/k when really 80km/h, 105km/h when really 100km/h, etc etc. I don't understand how anyone's could read consistently the same difference over different speeds.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Driving home late one night a camera that catches red light runners at an intersection pinged me going through a green light.
I thought whats going on. Thats Bull#@%! So I turned around and it did it again going the other way. And again when I turned around to head home again.

Got 3 fines...

koins76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
My 06 Omega has the same 3km/h difference, doesn't seem to matter what speed your doing, guessing it is a computer generated gap. Qld speed cameras still have a higher % tolerance than other states although they are talking about dropping the tolerance down to 3% to be inline with most other states.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
My speedo reads 5% over verified by GPS. It says 42km/h when really 40km/h, 63km/h when really 60km/h, 84km/k when really 80km/h, 105km/h when really 100km/h, etc etc. I don't understand how anyone's could read consistently the same difference over different speeds.

Exactly what I tried telling these people before

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Well BIGBOSS, the missus Mazda reads 60KPH and we have determined its actuall 64KPH it is going, per several GPS checks!
We were wondering why we were passing people in the suburbs, but rarely got passed ourselves.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
That is very interesting.... I would have a go at Mazda and tell them to fix it if i was you because that is really not on.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Well BIGBOSS, the missus Mazda reads 60KPH and we have determined its actuall 64KPH it is going, per several GPS checks!
We were wondering why we were passing people in the suburbs, but rarely got passed ourselves.
It is illegal for a car manufacturer to sell a car where the speedo show a speed LESS than what the vehicle is traveling.

This is a serious fault and I would suggest you go back to the dealer and have them rectify it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I dont think I've ever been in a car that reads the exact right speed. It's always less.
On a pretty regular basis I'm in and out of other cars, but take my GPS with me.
Car speedo always lower than GPS.... sometimes by only 1 or 2km, sometimes 3 or 4km (and that's testing on a nice straight level stretch of road with cruise control).

Pablo, has your mrs Mazda got aftermarket wheels on it? Regardless, check the tyre placcard to make sure right tyres have been put on. It might be rolling diameter of the wheels that's out- either that or the speedo needs recalibrating. Also, if tyres arent inflated enough, that could definitely affect things too.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I got done by a camera once in the M5 tunnel. Wrote a letter because it had been my only driving offense and got off.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
And why would you assume that the GPS is 100% accurate

Not exactly a good benchmark