Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Speeding fine. Is it worth fighting?

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
on the VE the speedo is out by 3kph no matter how fast you are going and it has to stay that way. The Holden dealer told us they are not allowed to make indicated speed true speed. My last 2 VE's were 3 kph out... my Hilux is 4kph out. Subarus are up to 6 out

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
No the speedo don't have to be 100% I think it can be up to 8% either way so Mazda told us Wen we rang about the speedo being out in my misses 09 Mazda 3 its a load of crap if u ask. Me my vz wagon and rodeo are spot on why cant Mazda do yhe same job.

The law says a car speedo cannot read lower than your actual speed. Cars with speedos that read 8% out havent been sold in Australia for 40 years.

If your speedo were to be reading as 100 when you were in fact doing 105, the only possible explanation is your wheels and tyres, or a diff ratio change. If you get a speeding fine, it will be for one of those two reasons, or because the camera was faulty.

If both your wheels and diff ratio are original, then you may be innocent, and it may be the camera. Plead not guilty, dont spend any cash on lawyers, and hope the judge is in a good mood. He may give you the benefit of the doubt, especially since it could only be a few kmh over anyway.

No, its not worth spending money on or fighting too hard. The law is not on your side, a lawyer wont help. You just have to hope the judge shows some common sense.

EDIT: just an afterthought, since I dont own a VE.. for all I know the speedo is GPS controlled, I have no idea, in which case even gearing and tyres shouldnt make a difference. I dont believe that is the case though, but hey I could be wrong ;) It wouldnt surprise me to see that happen in the very near future though.. most new cars have a GPS installed anyway.

hardcore90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Manual
It was in a 100 zone. I guess i should just wait for the fine worst case it will only be a couple of kays over. As UFO said i am hoping they were just setting up as i heard about it from a friend who said that it was heading in that direction not long before. The wheels and diff are standard so I may consider pleading not guilty if the fine is for way over the speed limit. Live and learn.

DKSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SII Ute
Doubt you'd get a fine. I travel from base in Albury to SE of Melbourne most weekends in my SV6 ute, and I know what you're talking about. The cameras on the hume tend to still 'flash' without getting a recording. Not sure as to why, but its fine (if it was a 100 zone that is lol.) Besides, the speedo in the VE's are 3km's out, (tested it between my speedo reading, a GPS, a phone app, and an external speed check camera on the fwy, all giving me the same reading, 3km's slower then the speedo) so you should be fine :D!

hardcore90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Manual
Well the general opinion seems to be that the speedo will always read 3km faster than the speed your doing. In which case i should be fine. My previous car (Ba falcon ute) read about 7km faster when i checked it with gps and also past police with radar guns on the side of the road (doing 65+ in a 60 zone).

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
And as I said those cameras can tag cars further back and both sides of the highway also

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I was near a camera and it flashed and funny enough it was the p plater behind me that was tagged he didn't understand I was slowing for the camera lol

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I had a overhead warning sign once telling my caravan it should back off because it was tailgating. Nothing automatic is perfect, speed cameras should be operated by police aiming and pulling the trigger.