Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preliminary Results PumpAction Turbo

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
Great to see it's all up and running!!!!

I have to agree with Lou..

These freakin Hypothetical theories and calculations are a bloody wank!!!!

This the sme type of theory used to calulate hp from ETs. It's just total CRAP!!!!!!

If you want to believe it then that is your choice! But don't come into someones thread and start bagging thier results! This is the problem with forums... You get too many people who search the web for stupid ways of predicting power, ETs, Torque... It's all designed to give a "BALL PARK!!!!" Not a accurate reliable figure. It's sure as hell nota ccurate enough to put money on... Come on guys wake up to yourselves and step out into the real world, where things don't stick to thoeries and black and white. There are grey areas and lots of things that cause straight lines to end up very very bent!

Take for instance, heat. You have a think about how heat has an influence on hp at the wheels. Or at teh fly for that matter. Now how do you factor this into your equation? I think that straight line just kinked a little...

Now lets look at drive train loss... What sort of oil is in the box? Is it manual or auto? How worn is the converter, clutch? What condition is the diff in? What about your tailshaft? Is it a one piece or two piece? Is it a supercharger or a turbo? Is your airbox open to the engine bay or is it sucking air from outside? I think a serated steak knife has a straighter edge than your straight line now....

All of those things have an effect on hp. I could go on for pages with more things that effect hp. Ambient temp, engine temp, compression.

If you have concerns how about PMing Lou first then if it's a reasonable concern post it up. Don't just bag out a product you have neither seen or know anything about apart from what you have read...

Sorry for the hijack but I really get fed up with tossas jumping in and giving thier two cents then other potential customers get scared off because they read the writings of unknowledgable and uninformed persons...

In the end we are talking aobut 10 freekin kws.... Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!

:flame:

VYman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S SII s/c V6
muvro said:
These freakin Hypothetical theories and calculations are a bloody wank!!!!

This the sme type of theory used to calulate hp from ETs. It's just total CRAP!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Lou & Muvro
What if you halved the diameter of your rims times your diff ratio times the number of wheel nuts you have minus the number of cylinders
Just a thought :D

Josh Super6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S/C V6 A4
MBS206 said:
Okay, I have to ask a question here.

I was always told, if you want to figure out an approximate power level with you boost, to take your standard power, divide it by 14.7 (14.7PSi = 1atmosphere pressure) then add on what ever PSI you want to run to 14.7, and multiply the number you just worked out before.

Now the same works in reverse if you want to know the approx N/A power.

So I took your 246.6KW, and divided it by 22.7. Which is equal to 10.86 approx (rounded)
Now, I multiply that by 14.7, and get 159kw...

So. Did your car magically make more power then it should have standard? (12KW is a fair margin of difference from standard)
And isn't that power output at the rear wheels also? So we take into consideration normally a 30% parasitic loss through the driveline, but today, we'll take only a 20% loss, which will work your fly power out to be 182KW.

So if your dyno graph is correct and at the rear wheels, then your motor standard, made 182KW or more (As I didn't factor in the problems due to heat from the turbos etc) which, is 35KW more then standard for a VS Ecotec...

So, can you explain what mode the dyno readout was in. As for company purposes, dyno graphs are meant to be done in SAE mode.
And then, can you verify why, or how, your car appears to make more power then it should.

In regards to my part up the top with how to estimate new power once boosted, you then have to lower that expectation due to heating of the air which will rise pressure etc etc. Hence, as we work through, we'll find your NA power should be higher then I figured...

I'm struggling to see, where, or how it made that much power standard.

you are a fu(king twit
where did you pull that mumbo jumbo bull **** from?

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Josh Super6 said:
you are a fu(king twit
where did you pull that mumbo jumbo bull **** from?

Absolutely Josh, some of these guys come across theories that they have never put to practice in their life, and in many cases the theories are further
compounded by additional bullshit theories until it all gets blown out of proportion.
As far as I'm concerned you cant go past hands on practical development
which in many cases indicates that some of these theories are fundamentally flaud and never work out the way they should.

Cheers Lou.

VYman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S SII s/c V6
Great results Lou:w00t:
That sort of output would make it a top performer on the street:driving:

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Awesome work there Lou! The pictures simply don't give it justice, seeing this monster in the flesh makes you just want to....we won't go there.

I soo would have loved to have seen this thing on the dyno!

ascension24

Reaction score
I think anyone with a bit of common sense can see that formula would not give a finite answer.

What you are doing with the formula is making a ratio of stock pressure compared to boost pressure and multiplying it by the power of the car.

So for this ratio to be correct, the ONLY relation between a car and its power must be the pressure of air entering the cylinders. Which we know is false.

Now boost of course is a big factor in power, but no way in hell could you work out any respectable answers that could be used for anything except a ball park figure.

What about the type of fuel used, the temp of the air entering, the compression of the cylinders. The effeciency of the combustion at higher loads compared to smaller loads. Do the results of these things change in a linear fashion or an exponetal way? All these things effect power, but were any of these things factored into the formula? Nope, so I hope you can see why its a bit of a sham.

Anyways congrats to the pump action turbo setup. Looks awesome.

It shouldnt be long now till I pick up my new baby then we can start getting some goodies for her. Hopefully we'll be doing some nice business bluechip!.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Formula!

Guys, the formula is just trying to put the theory into a practicle sense. All "scientists" try to gather their theoreticle info before they test the prac. The formula is (as was stated before) a "ball park figure". No one knows the real figures that could be reached from an individual car as all cars are different! Anyone who takes mathematics as the be all and end all (unless finding 1=1 as we all should know equals 2.....hopefully?) is a goose! maths is good for finding definate answers, as stated before our this has many variables that cannot be solved with a simple formula!

My dig!

Spilly

NetJunkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S S/C
Hey, just found this thread. That looks totally awesome Lou, love to see how it goes down the strip.

Yeah I'm amazed too at the kind of bullshit some people believe, or WANT to believe. Heck, with all the variables that formula wouldn't even produce a ball park figure, more like a BULL park figure! :rofl: