Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

premium unleaded

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
anybody running premium in their 190kw. If yes can you please tell me what is the improvement. Is it smoother, better transmission changes, better fuel economy?

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I have the 175kw model and have used premium fuel and I find it does run a lot smoother but as far as economy goes that is very hard to work out I would say it would be very little, probably to get accurate figures you would have to run both fuels over a longer period of time, of course what puts me off is the cost and if it is minor it is not worth the extra amount.

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
I find that no matter the engine Premium always seem to make it run that little bit nicer. The prohibitive factor being the cost to the consumer, especially if you are not in QLD.

In the end it settles down to whether you personally think the difference in performance (marginal) is worth the difference in prices of fuel.

Oh and all the 'Official Holden' fuel usage figures and economy ratings are rated running on Premium Unleaded in an ambient temperature of no more than 27 degrees C.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
Flat spot

At 4500klm my Calais has a flat spot when changing from third to second. It can't seem to make up it's mind what it wants to do. I think I'll try some 95 in her and see if she likes that diet.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Optimax

I run my 190 on optimax. So far it seems to be smoother than regular unleaded, and a minor performance increase. Also it seems i get maybe 20-25km more per tank... but that might be due to other factors, im not sure.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
Optimax

Is optimax 95 or 98 ron. 98 is just sooo expensive. About 13cents per litre extra on normal unleaded

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
With my SV6 I've got fairly accurate figures over 12,000km but I haven't yet enough data on every combination of octane and driving type. So far it's line ball between 91 and 95 octane. So I’m not sure it’s worth the extra money. Surprisingly, the 98 octane gave me poorer consumption figures but that was when the engine done only 4,000km. I’ll report in again when I get more figures.

As far as performance goes, I’m not sure that what I’m feeling isn’t just psychological. When you pay big bucks for heavily promoted 98 octane fuel, it’s easy to convince oneself that the car runs better. If you need a dyno to tell the difference, it’s hardly worth it.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
New2Holden said:
Is optimax 95 or 98 ron. 98 is just sooo expensive. About 13cents per litre extra on normal unleaded
Optimax is 98 Ron..

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
i use only 8000 Mobil Premium 98 octane, and the 190 loves it. I run a tank of poo unleaded once a month tocompare the difference and there is a decent difference between the two.

R

rokjaw

Running the expensive stuff in the adventra. Find that the trip computer shows a better feul enconomy of about 15 or 20 % around town and more on longer trips. I figure the extra 13 cents a litre is covered by this and the smoother feel (even if imagined) is a bonus. Have also used some E10 (although only one tank) and found performance better, but not sure about economy.