Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

premium unleaded

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
i dont mind shellin out the extra 10 odd cents a litre, if it prolongs my engine life im all for it.

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
highendrev said:
i dont mind shellin out the extra 10 odd cents a litre, if it prolongs my engine life im all for it.

How do you figure it's going to prolong the engine life?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
41,000km here. Close to 20,000 on premium & 20,000 on unleaded. Every fill has been logged on a spreadsheet with km, date, fuel type & volume etc.

With my driving there was a very slight increase in economy on premium (Vortex), and the car ran a little smoother. If you work out $ per km on both fuels, then Vortex does not give enough of a gain in economy to justify its higher price.

I've gone back to plain old unleaded most of the time, but I sometimes fill with Vortex for a tank or so before we leave if we are planning a long trip.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
BobT said:
How do you figure it's going to prolong the engine life?

BEcause it burns alot cleaner? Its higher octane? DOnt be a tightass BobT, buy the good stuff.

bru78

Reaction score
05PlatedSV6 said:
Yes they do, they have twin knock sensors as does the Gen 4.
And as far as I have found out Holden even claims a performance increase over the standard RON fuel.The V6 is tuned for 91 RON but will happily run on higher octain fuels and from my experience in the SV6 i am getting better fuel economy figures during regular and long trips running on 95 RON.
But in the end you do have to form your own opinion on whether u want to shell out the extra bucks.

Actually the VZ SV6 is tuned to run on premium unleaded but can take normal 91 octane unleaded.

I checked the Holden website in VZ SV6 specification section and says the power figures quoted are based on premium unleaded.

So by using normal unleaded power figures would only be slightly down, but only slightly.

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Hi

Just like to clarify further regarding 95 or 98 octane fuel, the holden website states that power figures were quoted using 95 octane, BUT if you look carefully, that was only quoted for the 6.0 litre V8.

Now, I just checked my SV6 handbook, and on page 5-3 it states the following, "use unleaded petrol of regular 91 research octane number (RON) rating or higher. Use of premium unleaded petrol (95 octaneor higher) may provide a small improvement in performance and fuel economy"

Thats straight from Holden!

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
boona15 said:
hey has anyone heard anyhting about the united fuel boost plus?????
its a 98 octane rating and had had some good ratings on it about being good for economy and power.......
I believe this fuel uses Ethanol as an octane booster. It worked well in my gen3 that was tuned for Ultimate but it did add about 1 liter to the 100 on the trip computer. Decided not to use it after reading this
http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/publications/testing-passenger-fleet/summary.html
It was based on a 20% ratio not the ratio used in boost but for the gain I didnt think it was worth it.
Unless you are working the car hard or there was a heat wave I wouldnt bother with anything more than 95 in a stock tune.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
my 2c, pay 10c more a litre get a batch of bp ultimate or mobil 8000... runnin round town u will never get a good econ rating y cause of all the stop start i got lil over 500k to the tank of 8000 i had in it, average consumption of 10.7l/100k - vz ute 175 w/6sp man ... topped up, it drank 58litres worth - capacity 70 litres.
open road driving loves it.... i drive most weekends to the snow in winter from melb to hotham n back have recorded including topup lil over 900km to 100litres of ultimate yes thats with cooler temps but mountain driving where u cant go no faster 60k/h for a 20+20km strech.
fuels used... reg - lacks low end bad - will not use, premium, rural areas - lowest i go in fuel qual, 8000/bpu - 10c more to a litre - more fun and a better fuel!
another note if ya subtle fuel lasts... squirt its gona drink.

V

VX_KN079

Higher Octane fuel isn't "better" fuel it's just higher octane. And there is enough evidence that PROVES higher octane does not produce SIGNIFICANT power or efficiency improvements that anyone with basic common sense would see that IT'S NOT WORTH THE PRICE YOU PAY!!!

You engine won't last longer because you use better fuel. It will last longer if you don't flog it, change the oil every 5000km, service it, dyno it etc...

You won't have better fuel economy because of the fuel you use, you will if you drive more sedately though.

Like I said, common sense. I look at those poor saps at the petrol station who are paying more for un-necessarily expenive fuel and I laugh because they're to stupid to realise there really is no significant benefit.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
VX_KN079 said:
Higher Octane fuel isn't "better" fuel it's just higher octane. And there is enough evidence that PROVES higher octane does not produce SIGNIFICANT power or efficiency improvements that anyone with basic common sense would see that IT'S NOT WORTH THE PRICE YOU PAY!!!

You engine won't last longer because you use better fuel. It will last longer if you don't flog it, change the oil every 5000km, service it, dyno it etc...

You won't have better fuel economy because of the fuel you use, you will if you drive more sedately though.

Like I said, common sense. I look at those poor saps at the petrol station who are paying more for un-necessarily expenive fuel and I laugh because they're to stupid to realise there really is no significant benefit.

Poor saps? I dont think they are poor mate if they are puttin in premium.:king: If people want to use premium, they should feel free. If you are in a financial sound career/ position, 10 c a litre extra means buckleys.