Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prepare for a Spark Plug change

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
What would I need to do before I change the plugs? i have he gaskets ready and the plugs and socket, Although I am wondering would I need to use ultra grey gasket sealers on the air intake manifold and how long would I need to wait before comensing work on the engine after driving

Working on a 3.6L V6 VE

Cheers guys

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
What would I need to do before I change the plugs? i have he gaskets ready and the plugs and socket, Although I am wondering would I need to use ultra grey gasket sealers on the air intake manifold and how long would I need to wait before comensing work on the engine after driving

Cheers guys

Have you over opened your bonnet? It says you own a V8. So no need to remove the intake manifold.

Cheers

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Forgot to mention Im working on a V6 3.6L guys sorry

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6

Working on a 3.6L V6 VE

Cheers guys
V8 no gaskets but looks like you are doing a V6,if you have the metal gaskets DONT use gasket sealers they have a rubber seal on the gaskets, a very sharp scraper to remove old gaskets (if not metal) and something to clean the manifold surface once apart, you will need a socket set 3/8 drive is better, screwdriver set, if you want take a couple of pics while doing it just so you can remember what went where, a long extension for the plug socket

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Is it just the alloytec that you remove the intake manifold or is it also the SIDI as well ?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Dayvo if its a V6 its still an Alloytec so yes.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U won't need gaskets unless U split the manifold, undo the 4 middle bolts and then the 2 bolts hidden in the holes, manifold will come up in one piece. Vz alloytec had a plastic gasket, can only assume the ve has it also?!

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
If it's the v6 alloytec.
Remove pvc hoses and air intake. There is also a harness you need to disconnect at the rear of the intake manifold. Remove the 6 bolts from the intake manifold. The rear bolt is a bit of a pain. You can get to it with a 3/8 drive without removing the plastic trims.
Lift up and remove manifold. I usually give the inside of the manifold and throttle body a clean with throttle body cleaner to get rid of the oil build up.
Block the intake with clean rags or tape
Remove coil packs and remove spark plugs
Change spark plugs and refit coil packs
Remove rags and replace new gaskets.
Put manifold on and tighten bolts
Reconnect all hoses, intake and harness at rear.

It's a good opportunity to install a catch can while the intake manifold is off. The pvc valve and hoses come from the rear so just gives you a little more room