Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price Of Oil?

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
we knew about the excise returning now opec is going cut oil production with the aussie dollar falling war in Ukraine i wonder how much we will be paying in the coming months

Don't forget to add inflation onto that.
Australia will put the rate up a touch and fuel will go up, USA will put their rate up and our fuel price will go up.
Someone in parliament farts, The price goes up

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Well here's a shot of what we have price wise. Interesting that some are still the same as yesterday and others have gone up. Coles and WW like usual are coming out on top as most expensive.

GIANT MAP LUCKY I HAVE A GIANT SCREEN

Wow, you're getting hosed down there. Between Bowral and Wodonga the lowest price for 98 is $177.9 at Wagga and highest is $2.18 at Marulan which is just on the Sydney side of Goulburn. Driving through ACT today I paid $1.95 for 98 on the outskirts.

If I look at the price of 98 over 12 months in NSW it's actually showing still being on a downward trajectory and is about 10c dearer compared to this time last year. March and June this year have been the most expensive.

Overall, the lowest price for 98 today in NSW was $1.69 and highest being $2.35.

...i feel like Robert Gottliebsen

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After the last week of prices bouncing around, and 30c difference between servos only a few kilometres apart, the NSW Fuel Check in Newcastle / Hunter area has prices all over the place with base E10 / 91 being in the high $1.70s, + or - 10c, and 98 up to $2.20.
Perhaps, some are price gouging the lower excise at current rates, and some are still selling at the lower excise rates until the next delivery ?

Meanwhile, in EV-Land, Australian drivers are getting hot and bothered by proposals to tax kilometres driven to compensate for the excise not paid on fossil fuels for the 'upkeep' of our roads, as it is an invasion of their privacy to disclose how far they drive per year.
I'm offended and outraged by this onerous imposition of Govt interference into their lives. ;) AKA .... stiff ****, greenie eco-warriors !

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Meanwhile, in EV-Land, Australian drivers are getting hot and bothered by proposals to tax kilometres driven to compensate for the excise not paid on fossil fuels for the 'upkeep' of our roads, as it is an invasion of their privacy to disclose how far they drive per year.
I’m not a fan of them doing that either. Not because of privacy etc but because we don’t have yearly vehicle inspections here in QLD. Having a per kilometre vehicle tax will basically force annual inspections to ensure the correct mileage is reported.

It’s a difficult quandary to resolve in recouping the lost tax revenue but the solution shouldn’t really involve cars at all because the majority of the fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue and doesn’t even get spent on roads.

A fair solution should be to marginally increase car registration fees to cover the road maintenance (probably and extra $500-1000 per year should cover it) and increase or create another tax with a fairer distribution (GST, a new electricity tax maybe?).

At the moment vehicle owners get smashed disproportionately for tax revenue that gets spent elsewhere to the benefit of those who don’t drive or own cars.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I’m not a fan of them doing that either. Not because of privacy etc but because we don’t have yearly vehicle inspections here in QLD. Having a per kilometre vehicle tax will basically force annual inspections to ensure the correct mileage is reported.

It’s a difficult quandary to resolve in recouping the lost tax revenue but the solution shouldn’t really involve cars at all because the majority of the fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue and doesn’t even get spent on roads.

A fair solution should be to marginally increase car registration fees to cover the road maintenance (probably and extra $500-1000 per year should cover it) and increase or create another tax with a fairer distribution (GST, a new electricity tax maybe?).

At the moment vehicle owners get smashed disproportionately for tax revenue that gets spent elsewhere to the benefit of those who don’t drive or own cars.

Could just report the kms when renewing the rego.
Would be difficult to put false numbers in as you would likely get caught out when selling it, And can't wind back the odometer on an EV

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT

They got talked into buying on an overpriced EVs and I bet they got some tax break for doing so. Now, the Gov want that tax break back with a vengance and few dollars more. Talk about getting fücked royalty.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Could just report the kms when renewing the rego.
Would be difficult to put false numbers in as you would likely get caught out when selling it, And can't wind back the odometer on an EV
You could do that but I’d guarantee either govco would use it as an excuse for annual inspections or the mechanics lobby group will push for annual inspections to increase their members revenue. The most logical thing is never what gets done, what makes the most money or pays the most kickbacks is what gets done.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Is that a bad thing ? Getting unroadworthy ****-boxes off the road ?

We all know that is true ......... typical Govt practice ..................like NSWs '3x3' policy from years ago, 3c per litre for 3 years to put towards road upgrades. Lasted more than 3 years and the money raised didn't go to 100% road upgrades.

A fair solution should be to marginally increase car registration fees to cover the road maintenance ................
Wash your mouth (or computer) out.
That would be the most unfairest solution, therefore most attractive to revenue raiser.
3 cars driven 5Km per year @ $1000 rego each, versus 1 car driven 15Km per year @ $1000.
Yep, the rich with 3 cars can afford 3 regos ............... thinks Govt ........... just like everybody can afford a $60K EV by 2025.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see no reason except a few extra dollars to build the km travelled into the GPS system of the car, which could then report to a database automatically through the mob phone network .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
NZ has it half sorted. Diesels powered vehicles pay road user charges using kilometers traveled based on vehicle class, weight and axles. Petrol cars have it incorporated as excise tax in the petrol and currently EV's don't pay any road user taxes as an incentive to get more people into EV's.

It is my honest belief that taxes should be removed from petrol and all vehicles on NZ roads put onto the RUC system which would make the system much more equitable.